Currently reading:
Compatible gas control valve for obsolete Honeywell

Discuss Compatible gas control valve for obsolete Honeywell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the success of yesterday's posting, and the constructive support I received I wonder if I could please test the skills of the wise again, as today I've a problem of my own to resolve.
I called out a gas engineer this morning because our boiler, an elderly Ideal Concord CX 240 P, has started 'popping' loudly on extinguishing, sometimes blowing out the pilot light. He checked the LPG pressure on the manifold, which was okay, as was the strength of the pilot flame and, with the front cover removed the flame died out quietly, making it look like I was inventing the problem. However, when he replaced the cover it started popping again.
His next suggestion, which seems logical, is a weak diaphragm in the gas control valve, or a weak/broken spring, causing a slow, rather than immediate cut-off of gas. Apparently this valve (Honeywell type V4400D 1011) is now obsolete but he said that if I can track one down, or find another that is compatible, or even get hold of a replacement diaphragm and spring, he'll come and fit it for me, but he's too busy to spend hours doing an online search so that's my task.
I've come across a Honeywell V4400C 1211 which, according to the advertiser's table, is supposed to fit the Concord CX 240P but I cant see a compatibility reference anywhere else so wanted to check to see if anyone knows anything different or can point me in the right direction. These valves cost over £300 so I'd prefer not to spend all that money buying the wrong one.
I've just been reading about a potential safety issue with broken springs on the V4400C series. This evening I've sent off an email to Ideal to see whether they can help.
I'm also wondering if there might be another reason for the popping, which is obviously something to do with the air/propane mix.
All suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Compatible gas control valve for obsolete Honeywell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back