Search the forum,

Discuss Commissioning paperwork in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything happens at that property the landlord is legally accountable. I'm sorry, but if he has been employing engineers who can fit a boiler, with a vertical flue, plus 2 rads in half a day, they are obviously cutting corners! Impossible to complete that work to standards! I would not re-attend until your money was paid... Not a chance. He is taking the p***! Tell him you will not be fixing any leaks until your initial quote/invoice has been paid. He knew the cost from your quote prior to works being carried out, Very frustrating! You are trying to complete gas works to a safe standard and this guy is basically willing to put his tenants lives at risk expecting the job to be done in 4-5 hours! Or... you advise him you want paying up front to re-attend... but then you run the risk of not being paid should the job be more than just a standard call out. I agree with matchless.plumb... You need to seek advice and this guy may need to be reported... he may be a member of the NLA or the RLA. I hope this works out for you I really do.

If anything happens at that property the landlord is legally accountable. I'm sorry, but if he has been employing engineers who can fit a boiler, with a vertical flue, plus 2 rads in half a day, they are obviously cutting corners! Impossible to complete that work to standards! I would not re-attend until your money was paid... Not a chance. He is taking the p***! Tell him you will not be fixing any leaks until your initial quote/invoice has been paid. He knew the cost from your quote prior to works being carried out, Very frustrating! You are trying to complete gas works to a safe standard and this guy is basically willing to put his tenants lives at risk expecting the job to be done in 4-5 hours! Or... you advise him you want paying up front to re-attend... but then you run the risk of not being paid should the job be more than just a standard call out. I agree with matchless.plumb... You need to seek advice and this guy may need to be reported... he may be a member of the NLA or the RLA. I hope this works out for you I really do.

I've spoken to the tenant and he is happy for me to come and cap the gas as the landlord as been a nightmare with him. The tenant has just said come and cap it if I need to and he will ring his local council as his wife is severely disabled. He has had to go through the council before as the landlord has been useless and left them with no heat or hot water. Which I suppose if the council get involved it puts a bit more pressure on the landlord.

I've spoken to the tenant and he is happy for me to come and cap the gas as the landlord as been a nightmare with him. The tenant has just said come and cap it if I need to and he will ring his local council as his wife is severely disabled. He has had to go through the council before as the landlord has been useless and left them with no heat or hot water. Which I suppose if the council get involved it puts a bit more pressure on the landlord.
Absolutely shocking behavior! This guy is one of the reasons why the gas safety industry is in such a bad place! Hopefully the council will intervene and enforce the landlord to acknowledge his legal obligation...

Having read the above I feel Gassafe register is over stepping the mark by telling us to register the boiler even if the bill has not been paid, their only purpose is to ensure gas is done to a standard, I cannot see where they would get any legal clout to make an installer register something that hasn't been fully paid for,

I think the "leak" that the landlord now claims can be a problem to you in court if you ignore it. The landlord has the law on his side for faulty work (and he knows it) and can withhold payment for substandard work. That is normally the only legitimate reason of non payment of an agreed quote for an agreed job.
If you refuse to go and look at the "leak" to rectify it, then the court can judge it that you hadn't completed the work to a satisfactory standard - if the landlord uses that as an excuse.
You can imagine how it would look if landlord brought unanswered letters about a leak, plus photographs of water damage to a court.
So be careful to reply properly and professionally and keep records.

Have you been paid anything?
Did you take a deposit?
Do you know from the tenant what the leak is?

Have you been paid anything?
Did you take a deposit?
Do you know from the tenant what the leak is?
Been paid a small amount, absolutely no where just the initial quote. Didn't take a deposit as the landlord bought the boiler so materials weren't a great deal. And the leak sounds like it's nothing to do with the boiler because I've had a different story from the landlord and the tenant.

Would not go down the route of capping. Get certificate sent to yourself. (You can delay by max time as you have 28 days). Take a look at the leak as he has to give you the opportunity to rectify if its yours. Take a camera and get pictures especially if its not a leak of your doing. Be patient. Keep records of communications and get as much in writing i.e. via SMS and email.

Bit of an update on this post. I'm still owed ÂŁ300 from this nightmare customer. I've registered the boiler with the manufacturer so the warranty is in place and gas safe have been notified. I've had the certificate sent to my own address but the customer is refusing to pay until he receives it. Would I be in the wrong legally to keep hold of the certificate as I think only the commissioning engineer can request a duplicate?

Would I be in the wrong legally to keep hold of the certificate as I think only the commissioning engineer can request a duplicate?

My opinion is that by holding the certificate hostage you are muddying the waters about whether you have completed your part of the contract. I'd send it to them by registered post and staple it to a final demand for payment. If they don't pay use the small claims court. Make sure you follow the procedures carefully, dodgy landlords know all the tricks, but the nice thing about being owed money by someone who owns a building is that they are certain to pay up eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Commissioning paperwork in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock