Search the forum,

Discuss Commercial Pricing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
OK, so given the significant cost of getting commercial gas tickets.. How much do you guys charge per hour for commercial gas work? I'd be interested to know how it compares to what you charge for domestic gas work too so I can compare. It's a new market for us as of next month and I honestly have no clue how much you can charge for it.

Thanks for all replies in advance!

i would say to start off with £60 an hour but see a few upto £120 per man

but start off small dont jump in the deep end :D

£120 charge is normally the big companies .

£ 50 to £80 for smaller

Unless you have a guaranteed contract lined up, commercial is a waste of time for the small guy.
All the decent work is tied up with the big mobs.
Kebab shops and chippies and the odd wee factory unit.
I was in with Carillion for a while getting £42+ vat an hr at the end after a lot of arguing and i knew the contracts manager, but when that finished i dropped mine as i would be lucky if i picked up a K of the dross no one else would touch.
If you have the guaranteed work do it (and its not hard to pass) but if you don't you will find you wasted your cash.

Depends what area your going for Croft. R ye going maintenance in d likes of office blocks, factories,schools etc. R ye going t b charging for contract for plant maintenance first then hourly rate.
I usually charge a very reasonable rate for service contract if I'm fairly sure that I'm going to get plenty of call outs for plumbing/ maintenance issues in the building.
Different customers might get a different rate.
Shaun's pricing is a good start point. Have a set min charge.
Be picky who ye work for commercial end too.
Personally I wouldn't work for car garages, hotels or builders as they fk around with payment.
Well that's in Ireland anyway. I'm involved solely in service maintenance

I only done mine as at the time i was doing a lot of county council works so schools and offices would quite often come up for pricing.
I always found as the small guy your prices were questioned and was always pushed to squeeze it down .

Cheers folks. Had three calls in the last 6 months from various takeaways wanting work done etc. At £1,400 to get the qualifications I need I'm not sure if it will pay to be honest which is why I wanted to check here first.

Part of me thinks that it would open up new lines of business though, we are quite well established in Lincoln and I'd like to get into that area of work. Might be a short term loss for long term gain thing.

In my experience, take away's ( I CAN ONLY SPEAK FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE )
want Cheap !!!
You'd also need commercial catering which is yet another expense.
Appliances are on top !!

Hmm might can it then tbh. Don't feel comfortable spending another £2k or so on training, that's a lot of takeaways to do work in before I even break even.

It is something I have been wanting to do for ages, but I cant see how as a small company you pick up the work. I have had to turn away about 4 jobs in the past couple of years to replace light commercial boilers which is annoying but not sure a couple of jobs a year are worth the expense of training, plus losing time to do it. I have no desire to get into commercial catering, working in kitchens is a horrible job. I have done that working for a firm when I was an apprentice.

Your best bet is to find a local com laddy that you can both price for work etc

I have tried that, cant find anyone who is interested.

Yeah I have asked on here a couple of times, had no response. Based in South East London.

What i did when i got my commercial certs was to price it in on a job , i was getting offered more and more work and it started to slide towards commercial gas so i done it that way .
I was offered a lot of gas work from a large mechanical company not that long ago but truth be told i can't be bothered. Less hassle just replacing showers and drippy taps.

Mind you wouldn't do catering certs who wants to work in a minging chinese take away ...no thanks.

You've got all the chip shops in Grimsby and Skeggy as well and think of the free food
Lots of commercial on the Humber bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Commercial Pricing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock