Search the forum,

Discuss Combimate leaking after replacing crystals in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told my my plumber that the crystals in my Combimate needed changing and I decided to have a go at it myself but now it's leaking - there is a steady drip coming from the bottom. I cleaned everything thoroughly, replaced the rubber seal with a new one, pushed the dome in as far as it will go and filled it with 800g of Combiphos. I then tightened both the red plug and aluminium ring as tight as physically possible. I did this a second time after noticing the leak and made sure that the rubber seal was flush against the plastic edge but it's made no difference. Any ideas what I might have done wrong?

Sounds like you've done everything right, but obviously something is untoward, sometimes it's hard to get the white grime out where the red plastic pretrudes at the bottom.

Clean and try again is all someone would do if they came out.

have you tried using some silicon grease on the o ring (not the sealant)

Thanks for the replies. Just tried again with no joy. I haven't tried any silicone grease. If I can get hold of some tomorrow should I just rub some on the 'o' ring and then replace the 'o' ring near the recessed ledge?

correct if its a new one it should seal

Ok thanks, I'll try to buy some silicone grease tomorrow. Presumedly it's normal that the dome can't be pushed in fully due to the location of the rubber seal? There's a 1mm gap between the dome and the thread on the white plastic that the dome is pushed into, but I can't get rid of this without removing the rubber seal.

I'm not sure I would use silicone grease on the seal for these. May encourage the seal to slip out of place as tightened. I always make sure that the Perspex bowl and the area where the rubber seal is are spotlessly clean. A stray fragment of Siliphos ball/crystal could cause it not to seal at the rubber seal. Also, I'm not sure hand tight is enough. I use a boa strap wrench to just give a little extra turn - but don't go mad.

Only time I have had leaks is when I've tried to use the seal three or more times. Now I always replace the seal every other time the Combimate comes apart.

Replace the seal. Hand tight is all the aluminium ring should need.

I think it was me being stupid! I cleaned the rim meticulously and scraped it with a screwdriver and it's now fine so even though it looked clean, I think something must have been in the way. Thanks for all your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combimate leaking after replacing crystals in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock