Discuss Combie Boiler and Electric Shower - how best to sort out the poor pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a combie boiler (kitchen) and a shower room in a loft conversion. The previous owners put in a basic electric shower (Triton Aquatronic 3 Ultra).

The issue is two things - first off, the pressure there is poor anyway but second, any time any other taps are running the water slows to a trickle - just enough to stop it from flashing up with the low pressure setting - and yeah - just wait for the washing machine to turn on! This is also true with the hot tap on the basin.

I avoid using that shower when the other one is going (though telling my family not to use the other one when I'm in that . . . never works).

So the question is - what's the best thing I can do to increase the pressure? I've had a look about and it seems that pumped electric showers aren't allowed? And direct from the combi seems to be a no go due to that pressure (that and basically having to gut the shower room to do it).

Thanks for any advice!

Do you know what your incoming pressure is (mains cold water)??

Salamander homeboost pump is a affordable option it will give you 12 litres a minute at 1.6 bar but it would be best to know what you have before committing to anything as shaun said. Cheers kop

Screenshot_2017-07-29-19-08-36.png

Thanks Sean. No, sorry, I don't know - how can I check the pressure? I do know that there is a good rate of flow into the bathroom - it just seems to be issues in the shower room.

So I'm correct in thinking that I can't put on a pumped electric shower?

Kop, whereabouts would that pump be best placed (and I'm guessing no regulation issues on this being installed)?

Ok Shaun, may see if I can source one. So what would be my options based on the possible pressures?

I've done some plumbing in the past but think that if I have to put in a pump then I'll be calling in the pros!

Depends on what your pressure is if it's below 1 bar (which it shouldn't as you have a combi boiler installed so should be around 1.5bar)

If it's above 1.5 bar it's not a cold main problem and down to either cheap shower shower filters need cleaning etc

This problem has been discussed many times you may have sufficient pressure and flow on the ground floor but it drops off the higher you go in the property at times of high demand morning and evenings it will be worse , i suggest you employ someone to carry out the tests as shaun has described , if this does not improve your supply then the Homeboost is a affordable option it needs to be fitted as close to the main incoming stopcock and obviously before any take offs download the installation instructions to see if its a viable is my advice best of luck kop

Thanks Shaun, I'll see if cleaning the filters helps at all.

Kop - so you are saying that I should consider adding a pump? Obviously that would be better all round but that leads me back to my other question, could I install a pumped electric shower?

MP - I have a first floor bathroom (the pressure here is always fine and also fine in the kitchen on the ground floor) and a shower room in the loft conversion (it's here that I have the issues) . . . lots of suddenly scalding showers followed quickly by the low pressure light and then a trickle of cold. But even if no one is running anything in the house the pressure is poor there.

You lose (roughly) 0.25bar of pressure for each floor. So if your incoming main is 1.0bar, on the first floor it will be 0.75bar, and on the top floor 0.5 bar. Half a bar may not be enough to supply the electric shower, particularly if the flow is reduced by restrictions, multiple bends etc.

Steadyon has described it quite well someguy the higher you go the less pressure you have to supply your outlets , what do you mean pumped electric shower ? Just fit the salmander homeboost it will adapt to the demand needed and a normal electric shower unit .cheers kop

Steadyon - that's a great rule of thumb and I will check on that - thanks - and I think you are spot on about the pipe work too.

Kop - I was thinking something like this:

Mira Elite QT 9.8kW: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Is it allowed when using with a combi boiler?

I've read some things that say that if you have a combie that you can't have a pumped shower - and would think that would be true of the homeboost too?

Cheers again Kop!

The Homeboost will just bring your pressure up to an acceptable 1.6 bar and 12 l/min flow rate for your combi through the main. The combi boiler won't "know" there is a pump but will just enjoy better flow rates and pressure which will passed on up to your shower. The homeboost is ideal for what you are trying to do.

Stigster has got in before me but that is the advice i would have given you can boost the water supply to a combi to give you a better performance, you cant have a pumped electric shower off the mains as one unit,your new Mira shower will be fed via the homeboost connected to your rising main water supply and be powered by electric via a 10mm twin and earth cable from your consumer unit and a isolator normally outside the bathroom , the other hotwater outlets will be fed by the combi . cheers kop

Thanks Stigster, that makes sense.

Thanks again Kop - got it.

So, while I'm still not sure if something like the unit I linked to above is actually within regulations off a direct system - the actual answer here is that I'm better off boosting the water pressure as a whole before the combie, rather than just a pumped electric shower.

Cheers lads.

Ha ha Kop - fair play! ;)

More so as I just re-read your post "you cant have a pumped electric shower off the mains as one unit" - so that is a NO to installing one with a combie!

Cheers again and thanks for replying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combie Boiler and Electric Shower - how best to sort out the poor pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back