Search the forum,

Discuss Combi sudden pressure loss. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my 80 year old mum has a combi boiler that suddenly loses pressure. She lives 70 miles away and having problem diagnosing fault. It happens irregularly and suddenly so dont think it is leak. Expansion tank and prv has been changed by a local plumber. I think it might be dumping water out the prv, but never when i am there and have left tub under prv but it rained, tied freezer bag to prv, it split (could have filled and split).
Any ideas, I am thinking intermitant pump fault or thermostat causing system to overheat and dump pressure?
Any ideas welcome, this only happens about once or twice a week.
I am a qualified gas engineer but I mainly do site work so not experienced in fault finding.
Thanks.

When the expansion vessel was replaced was the pipe connecting it checked? I've had instances where the connection at the boiler end has been blocked. Might be worth a look.

When the expansion vessel was replaced was the pipe connecting it checked? I've had instances where the connection at the boiler end has been blocked. Might be worth a look.
I have removed this and blown through it etc, but thanks for your idea. I did wonder if dirt in system could be intermitantly causing such blocking.

It would certainly help, Rich, if someone could monitor what the pressure is doing as the boiler heats up - that would be a good indication.

But I understand your mum would find this difficult.

What make and model of combi is it? (Not that I'm thinking that'll help...!)

Really needs a gas safe engineer to take a look guys not something for the DIYer to be guessing at

Rich , if you are GS , email admin with your number .
Otherwise its against the rules to encourage somebody to remove a boiler case

Apparently have to post 10 times, I'm gas safe messaged Lou and Dan with GS number and card serial number, no response.

It would certainly help, Rich, if someone could monitor what the pressure is doing as the boiler heats up - that would be a good indication.

But I understand your mum would find this difficult.

What make and model of combi is it? (Not that I'm thinking that'll help...!)
Thanks for your replies.
I have checked pressure when visiting and behaves normal going from 1 bar cold to about 1.75 when hot.

Sorry did not mean to break any rules. I am gas qualified and registered through the company I work for. Dont do private jobs just new build installation. The work already done was by a local firm to my mum but they have failed to sort it and was just looking for suggestions before shelling out more money. I work for Cook and Harris Ltd reg no 1942

Thanks for your replies.
I have checked pressure when visiting and behaves normal going from 1 bar cold to about 1.75 when hot.
The boiler is an Ariston eco combi 27 mffi and is about 14 years old. Mum was charged about ÂŁ800 to fit expansion vessel, if I new it was going to be that much I would have advised new boiler

The boiler is an Ariston eco combi 27 mffi and is about 14 years old. Mum was charged about ÂŁ800 to fit expansion vessel, if I new it was going to be that much I would have advised new boiler

Robbing gits !!

Hi Rich

It was a sealed system Ariston that I had to drill the crap out of the block where the flexible pipe connected, not that seems to be the case with yours.

Hi Rich

It was a sealed system Ariston that I had to drill the crap out of the block where the flexible pipe connected, not that seems to be the case with yours.
Thanks Neil. I do wonder if it might be the pathway to expansion gets temporarily blocked. Might try fitting external expansion vessel as there is room in cupboard.

You rang town ?

sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi sudden pressure loss. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock