Search the forum,

Discuss Combi Boiler repair needed in Henlow, Bedfordshire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tony1979

Hi all,

I hope I've come to the right forum and I hope I've posted in the right section! I've got an Ariston micro combi boiler 23 MFFI... My Dad is an ex heating engineer and says its about 10/11 years old. We've had a few pressure problems with it recently and my dad talked me through how to fill the expansion vessel. That was approx 4 months ago and everything was fine until now.

now, the pressure problem is back. I've refilled the expansion vessel using the schrader valve but it isn't holding the pressure. I think I can hear quite hissing so I'm thinking that it may have sprung a leak?

My initial thought was to get a local engineer in so I went to trust a trader, picked a well rated engineer and emailed him. He quoted me £55 per hour to come and diagnose and fix the problem. Then I spoke to my dad and he suggested considering a new boiler.

now I find myself on here and would like your independent advice...

Should I look at a local fix... Maybe from you guys?
does the £55 per hour guy sound reasonable?
should I look at a new boiler? If I do this, my dad can get a trade price boiler but I imagine most of you can too....

Really stuck on what to do... Any advice?

A ten year ariston , well done if it were me if be advising you to swap

Thanks so far... I'm thinking that ariston are rubbish then? Destroyer2813.. Thanks for the offer, when can you come. Does it sound like the expansion vessel? Will it cost me for you to come and have a look?

I know I sound cautious but I can't help it.... Got stung a few years ago by a cowboy who milked us and don't want to make the same mistake twice.

I have a 10 year old ariston boiler its crap but has lasted better than expected. Would love to change it though. Much better boilers out there if you can afford it though mate.

Thanks Michael... Can you recommend any? And what kind of price would I be looking? I've had a pm recommending a guy called Stan

If it is only the expansion vessel get it replaced or recharged you never know you might get another couple of years our of the boiler and start saving for a new one.

I don't know tbh it's only what I think. Destroyer has offered to have a look, I'm just waiting for a reply. I'll take the best option/ advice if I'm honest

If it is only the expansion vessel get it replaced or recharged you never know you might get another couple of years our of the boiler and start saving for a new one.

ill bet you a king size mars bar it doesnt last the year without needing further repairs

If you get it repaired you are only delaying the inevitable. If you can go for the replacement then go for it. It's the better long term solution.

I agree with both suggestions to a degree. Repairing now for a small cost and lasting another 12-24 months is great in the short term but replacing and having peace of mind for many more years is also appealing.

i was sent a pm recommending safgasinstall (aka stan) apparently he is a fair bloke and won't over charge or do me over. Can anyone vouch for him?

what kind of price would I be looking at for a two bed semi detached. Ground floor consists of 3 rooms - conservatory approx 12ft by 9ft with one radiator, kitchen approx 13ft by 13ft one radiator, lounge approx 13ft by 13ft one radiator. Small hallway right by main door with small radiator. Upstairs consisting of 6ft by 6ft bathroom one small radiator, two bedrooms roughly the same size 12ft by 12ft both with single radiators. One additional small radiator where the airing cupboard used to be.

any ideas?

I'm around all day today and tomorrow, and Tuesday morning for a couple of hours. Can you let me know of any costs before we get the ball rolling though.

Destroyer will be able to best advise mate. Tbh what boiler is more linked to an installers preference, length of warranty and your budget. I wouldn't like to tell you what i charge up here as prices are different where you are and i haven't seen your job. There can be a few variables but destroyer will treat you fairly and give good advice.
Good luck

Thanks for the recommendation .....
Yes I could help you out If you require good profesional services at no extra cost .... Just sent me your address and time and I will be there to survey job and give you a fair price for %100 job done !!!
Just click on my web bellow my post !

Stan

The guys on this forum wont rip you off. I can vouch for Stan personally, good knowledgeable engineer.

Hello, just had a job last week on the very same boiler. There a 2 fixes to your problem 1. Totally depressurise the boiler expansion vessel then fit an external expansion vessel or 2. replace the damaged one. I have a Baxi Potterton that had the same problem, I fitted an external vessel. Had no problems since. Rgds Bill Heating Engineer Ps I live in Luton.

Hello, just had a job last week on the very same boiler. There a 2 fixes to your problem 1. Totally depressurise the boiler expansion vessel then fit an external expansion vessel or 2. replace the damaged one. I have a Baxi Potterton that had the same problem, I fitted an external vessel. Had no problems since. Rgds Bill Heating Engineer Ps I live in Luton.

An old thread fella, I suspect that the problem has been resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi Boiler repair needed in Henlow, Bedfordshire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
K
My conventional boiler needs to be replaced. One engineer suggested combi with an external pump because water pressure in my flat is low, the other said there's no need for a pump. He even said that if the pump would have a detrimental effect on the boiler. Who is right?
Replies
Views
Vaillant Ecotec Plus 832 boiler is 13 years old, 4 of which since we've been living there, started to play up in last couple of months. An engineer with very good reviews came round and says it will cost 700+VAT for 'replacement expansion vessel, pressure relief valve and diverter valve on...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating circuit and ran hot and cold to the bathroom and kitchen in my property (I was a CORGI registered central heating installer about 15 years ago, so I felt comfortable running the flow/return to rads). I am in need of a combi boiler install with a...
Replies
Views
Looking for someone that can replace the expansion vessel on an old heating system that is losing pressure every day and needs topping up at least three times a day. Trying to eliminate what the cause could be. Appreciate that it could be a leak somewhere, but looking to tackle one issue at a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock