Search the forum,

Discuss Combi boiler for a 4 bathroom house - Advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part and parcel of the checks the G3 should be making anyway.

Hi Timmyjane - your enquiry is a good one and driven by the need for space

Combis save householders loads of space esp in lofts - however
1. Combis only suit flats and small homes - 1x bog 3 beds
2. They go wrong
3. Are recommended by numpties who cannot design and fit a proper system
4. There should be a thread about this as we get many questions exactly like this
the answer is all the same

Do report back about what you have chosen to do as this forum thrives on question &
answer Centralheatking
Problem. I want to convert my loft, huge cold water tank in loft and hot tank where I need to put stairs. I need 4 showers. Good water pressure to the house but not tested, comes out so forcefully in kitchen that the stop tap needed turning down a lot.

Current system not good enough for 2 showers.

A combi system I have seen seems to give a flow rate of 45 litres a minute at 60C, the ACV Heatmaster 85 Combi condensing boiler, it could go in a downstairs cupboard.

Anyone have this system in, or knows how much it is.

Are there any alternatives more widely available (worried about servicing), looked at Glow worm ultra power 100/170 sx, has a good flow rate of 36 litres a minute but at 35C, is there anything else out there, think the ACV may be very costly.

Advice very appreciated.

Remember the T.S.S. croppie suggests is 300 kilo's fully loaded.Check the load in your loft eaves etc.

Already have large cold water tank up there, but dont know if loads are different in other parts of the loft.

Am interested in getting other quotes from appropriately registered members. In terms of quotes, for kind of installation I have in mind (wishing to meet building regs etc with anything I do) what registration would you advise I look for.

Wont just be the boiler change, but removing old system, rerouting pipework where necessary. Putting two toilets in connecting to close by 1ft away soil pipe (no connection currently in). At least one shower with no current connection in place nor water supply to room. Another shower where I may (depending on where stairs end up) be able to connect to current supply feeding the existing sink. Maybe a few extras.

Another question: -

Cost of decent cylinder (in loft) and decent boiler possibly ground floor probably will be around the 1.8k+ mark with installation cost additional.

Providing ACV 85tc could be connected to standard domestic supply for gas and water (enquiring with ACV re regs) with it being one compact unit would installation and connections be easier from plumbers point of view (and therefore install cost) likely to be far less? Would go in a place that adjoins outside wall for outlet for any necessary flues.

Still got some reseach to do on this one, if on ground floor would reaching the loft with water supply hinder performance, read a few things about not being able to put pumps on pressured unvented systems?

Thanks

Right in Rays back yard ! CHK
Sorry just getting used to terminology and heating/water systems and online forums, what do you mean RM.

Im in Bosham on South Coast between Havant and Chi, PO18

Combi in this set up no way - but hey sorry Francy its you 1st post please introduce yourself and join our society please - you are really welcome . We are kittens really but watch out for CRoppie - he is industrial - thats what his MRs told me ! CHK

Not if the right combi is installed the right way[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Give ACV a call, get rep to come and see you also get ideal or oso to give suggestions once ACV have given design. The 85 tc will do fine on 20mbar. Will possibly need upgrade on size if meter is a way off?

Your project is way beyond any cowboy outfit, and might defeat some one only set ups.

As you are 5 hours South of us I would contact Ray Stafford about who could handle this
contract that comes into his shops CHK
Already have large cold water tank up there, but dont know if loads are different in other parts of the loft.

Am interested in getting other quotes from appropriately registered members. In terms of quotes, for kind of installation I have in mind (wishing to meet building regs etc with anything I do) what registration would you advise I look for.

Wont just be the boiler change, but removing old system, rerouting pipework where necessary. Putting two toilets in connecting to close by 1ft away soil pipe (no connection currently in). At least one shower with no current connection in place nor water supply to room. Another shower where I may (depending on where stairs end up) be able to connect to current supply feeding the existing sink. Maybe a few extras.

Another question: -

Cost of decent cylinder (in loft) and decent boiler possibly ground floor probably will be around the 1.8k+ mark with installation cost additional.

Providing ACV 85tc could be connected to standard domestic supply for gas and water (enquiring with ACV re regs) with it being one compact unit would installation and connections be easier from plumbers point of view (and therefore install cost) likely to be far less? Would go in a place that adjoins outside wall for outlet for any necessary flues.

Still got some reseach to do on this one, if on ground floor would reaching the loft with water supply hinder performance, read a few things about not being able to put pumps on pressured unvented systems?

Thanks

Timmyjane (Miss?)

As CHK inferred this is an interesting project and one you really, really need a good guy to do. Get a few quotes and come back to us with the proposals being made, we can give you our views bearing in mind we haven't had eyes on the job.

you couldn't do any worse than posting a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Hi - the unit I initially enquired about is a combination unit in essence! but it does have a 170 litre water store so does have the facility to have 170 litres of heated water before I have to rely on the instant heat facility. It is also one of the most efficient boilers on the market as it condenses (reuses the waste heat from both water and central heating system). A tank in tank sytem meaning gas used and cost to heat therefore less I think. From all I have read it seems to have the capacity for a decent flow rate 46 litres a minute providing I have a good water pressure and inflow rate. It will also take up less space than a decent boiler and good capacity tank, with possibly less install cost if it can connect to domestic supply (gas pipe 5 ft away from where I may install it).

So is it a hybrid that comes up with a good solution to space problems, not sure, but not willing to just discount it as its classed as a 'combi'. Any combi without such a hot water store in my limited opinion so far would not work just based on flow rates quoted on standard ones. It seems to stand to reason if something quotes (as most standard combis do) it is able to heat and release water at between 10 and 20 litres a minute then it probably will not allow me to run the dishwasher in the morning, kids to be washing faces in sink me husband and lodger in the shower all at the same time in the morning without some kind of compromise.

So at the moment not discounting (what appears to be a good hybrid solution) as advice is clearly mixed on this one. Issue is potential price.

Thanks for advice so far, all been great.:vanish:

Hi - the unit I initially enquired about is a combination unit in essence! but it does have a 170 litre water store so does have the facility to have 170 litres of heated water before I have to rely on the instant heat facility. It is also one of the most efficient boilers on the market as it condenses (reuses the waste heat from both water and central heating system). A tank in tank sytem meaning gas used and cost to heat therefore less I think. From all I have read it seems to have the capacity for a decent flow rate 46 litres a minute providing I have a good water pressure and inflow rate. It will also take up less space than a decent boiler and good capacity tank, with possibly less install cost if it can connect to domestic supply (gas pipe 5 ft away from where I may install it).

So is it a hybrid that comes up with a good solution to space problems, not sure, but not willing to just discount it as its classed as a 'combi'. Any combi without such a hot water store in my limited opinion so far would not work just based on flow rates quoted on standard ones. It seems to stand to reason if something quotes (as most standard combis do) it is able to heat and release water at between 10 and 20 litres a minute then it probably will not allow me to run the dishwasher in the morning, kids to be washing faces in sink me husband and lodger in the shower all at the same time in the morning without some kind of compromise.

So at the moment not discounting (what appears to be a good hybrid solution) as advice is clearly mixed on this one. Issue is potential price.

Thanks for advice so far, all been great.:vanish:

What is the boiler make & model?

You thought early on this would do the job, now you know the specific model, is opinion still good if I can bear cost?

Yes if you can have the budget it's the best on market acv is Rolls Royce stuff
As said get on to acv and ask there advice they will give you a help they may even say the 35 is big enough as they are super quick re heat times

ACV HeatMaster Gas Condensing Combination Boiler 85tc. Also do a 35tc which is a littler smaller but does not have comparable flow rate.

Which you will require a commercial guy for. And as I said before - we're expensive!

I would imagine you currently have a u6 meter. The ACV requires 8m3 of gas per hour. assuming you also have a gas cooker or range this meter WILL be undersized. You're going to require a u16 or a g10 meter. An additional cost!

I can't even find a price online for the ACV other than the usual 'email us for a quote' type sites so that tells me you'd be looking at splashing out £3-4k for one.

There are cheaper solutions that will give you what you want.

Yes if you can have the budget it's the best on market acv is Rolls Royce stuff
As said get on to acv and ask there advice they will give you a help they may even say the 35 is big enough as they are super quick re heat times

I sent you a private message with an email address of a bloke I know at acv give him a shout may be able to give you advice

Which you will require a commercial guy for. And as I said before - we're expensive!

I would imagine you currently have a u6 meter. The ACV requires 8m3 of gas per hour. assuming you also have a gas cooker or range this meter WILL be undersized. You're going to require a u16 or a g10 meter. An additional cost!

I can't even find a price online for the ACV other than the usual 'email us for a quote' type sites so that tells me you'd be looking at splashing out £3-4k for one.

No gas cooker but have one gas fire. will check meters out. I know someone was quoted in a thread (not this one £2100 for the tc35 plus install) i think DIYnot.com. Be interesting to see cost of bigger unit. Its the space it frees up that is interesting.

meant the cost of unit £2100. Plus installation total cost for guy was 4k but no idea what pipe work he had done.

Was thinking to myself either that guy's on a promise or he'd seriously muffed his costings up!

Oooops. I said 85 in previous .... 35 is 4m3 85 is about 9 as above ? But get a cowboy in and he will fit it on a u6 with 15mm supply and save u £350..Be fine. He said....
It's expensive but will do what u need. Meter upgrades can be negotiated with suppliers. If you move suppliers u can sometimes strike it lucky.

Don't discount cheaper options but not much will match up?

Oooops. I said 85 in previous .... 35 is 4m3 85 is about 9 as above ? But get a cowboy in and he will fit it on a u6 with 15mm supply and save u £350..Be fine. He said....
It's expensive but will do what u need. Meter upgrades can be negotiated with suppliers. If you move suppliers u can sometimes strike it lucky.

Don't discount cheaper options but not much will match up?

Don't think there would be much change out of £12k to supply and fit, allowing for a meter upgrade which could require a new upsized pipe from the main and all the digging or moling that would entail............

U16 might not require re pipe ? Bigger houses up here have 1 1/2 iron with u16 some u6. Thought u could get 16m3 through a std iron service or a poly service?

Basically, it works and lasts longer, faster to recover and made by a company with history of quality and innovation

The ACV unit may well provide the flow rates required but you need to look at the plumbing system as a whole. If you've got long pipe runs to the showers you need to be looking at a secondary circulation system for the hot water to minimise the wait for hot water. I'm not familiar with the ACV unit and it may have the facility for a secondary return but there is no point in using a space saving option if it doesn't provide the performance you require.

The ACV unit may well provide the flow rates required but you need to look at the plumbing system as a whole. If you've got long pipe runs to the showers you need to be looking at a secondary circulation system for the hot water to minimise the wait for hot water. I'm not familiar with the ACV unit and it may have the facility for a secondary return but there is no point in using a space saving option if it doesn't provide the performance you require.

Unless pipework is horrific and house has a 28mm 40m run to bathroom I wouldn't waste wonga on pump. Spend more in electricity and replacement pumps than u will save! Lagg pipes well, remove oversized and unused legs make system as "sporty" possible

All good stuff to consider and thanks. Unfortunately chap coming on Tuesday cancelled so cant answer any questions about pressure, meters etc yet:disappointed:

All good stuff to consider and thanks. Unfortunately chap coming on Tuesday cancelled so cant answer any questions about pressure, meters etc yet:disappointed:

If you post what area you are in maybe a member could help you out and price work for you

If you post what area you are in maybe a member could help you out and price work for you

PO18 8NS Bosham

Someone suggested posting on another part of this forum as well. How do I get to it Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi boiler for a 4 bathroom house - Advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock