Search the forum,

Discuss Combi boiler for a 4 bathroom house - Advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

timmyjane

Problem. I want to convert my loft, huge cold water tank in loft and hot tank where I need to put stairs. I need 4 showers. Good water pressure to the house but not tested, comes out so forcefully in kitchen that the stop tap needed turning down a lot.

Current system not good enough for 2 showers.

A combi system I have seen seems to give a flow rate of 45 litres a minute at 60C, the ACV Heatmaster 85 Combi condensing boiler, it could go in a downstairs cupboard.

Anyone have this system in, or knows how much it is.

Are there any alternatives more widely available (worried about servicing), looked at Glow worm ultra power 100/170 sx, has a good flow rate of 36 litres a minute but at 35C, is there anything else out there, think the ACV may be very costly.

Advice very appreciated.

Forget the combi.

Get a plumber with GSR and G3 in. Get your static and dynamic flow rates and pressures checked.

And then consider an unvented cylinder.

Get 3 or 4 quotes. Don't go for the cheapest.

You might as well buy a bottle of snake oil as go for a combi!

Forget the combi.

Get a plumber with GSR and G3 in. Get your static and dynamic flow rates and pressures checked.

And then consider an unvented cylinder.

Get 3 or 4 quotes. Don't go for the cheapest.

You might as well buy a bottle of snake oil as go for a combi!

Beat me to it :)

If you look at the OP, the product they are considering is not really a combi, its a light commercial product.

Sorry, I am not familiar with it, but will have a read up of the spec and answer later.

It is light commercial Ray, And they'd require upgrades to the gas meter, pipework et al.

And us commercial boys ain't cheap either!

Problem. I want to convert my loft, huge cold water tank in loft and hot tank where I need to put stairs. I need 4 showers. Good water pressure to the house but not tested, comes out so forcefully in kitchen that the stop tap needed turning down a lot.

A combi system I have seen seems to give a flow rate of 45 litres a minute at 60C, the ACV Heatmaster 85 Combi condensing boiler, it could go in a downstairs cupboard.

Are there any alternatives more widely available (worried about servicing), looked at Glow worm ultra power 100/170 sx, has a good flow rate of 36 litres a minute but at 35C, is there anything else out there, think the ACV may be very costly.

Advice very appreciated.

The acv would do your job no problem at all it's designed for a lot more but the cost will be high
If you have the budget then yes it be a terrific job
It's as said light commercial not really a combi boiler as most would know them
Acv are terrific

Your other option is as said check your mains pressure and flow rate and you could go for a unvented cylinder
But a standard combi would be a no go in my eyes for you

ACV is the daddy. It's a bit like a powermax. Perhaps consider an ideal logic 24kw system boiler and an ACV unvented cylinder ? More hot water than u could shake a stick or even four sticks at.

Dont get me wrong, I love ACV's but one would be overkill for this job. Small hotel or b&b's maybe.

I weren't expecting the thread to go off in this direction! Lol.

Dont get me wrong, I love ACV's but one would be overkill for this job. Small hotel or b&b's maybe.

I weren't expecting the thread to go off in this direction! Lol.

But croppie wouldn't you love to have that bad boy in your home I know I would lol

Thanks for all the comments, have someone coming Tuesday to quote, so will ask them to do all the water pressure tests etc, along with asking about what gas connections are coming in and whether ACV would require too many major changes. Opinion seems to be its overkill for what I need and could be costly, but never expected to be able to put run of the mill system in given what I probably need is some kind of high end domestic/light commercial solution with 4 showers 6 people and 5 basins. However havent got thousands.

Few suggestions about system boiler and open vented system, so will research these. My big attraction to the ACV was the fact that it took up no more than a 800 square footprint and would provide all I needed with very little space lost, same for the glow worm one. One cupboard (which adjoins outside wall).

Need to find a system that can go in same space on ground floor without affecting water pressure to loft when I finally run water up there.

At least a little better informed (before asking people for quotes and being charged for wobble danglers joined with sky hooks!) A little further research to do. So tar very much.

You don't need high end domestic you just need a decent unvented cylinder and the right person to fit it for you.

Where are you located?

Can anyone recommend a horizontal fast recovery, hi flow rate unvented cylinder looking for 300 litre + I think. Think this in loft eaves coupled with decent KW condensing energy efficient boiler might fix space and shower problem? (condensing for I think I can get scrappage and green deal giving me £670 off! price).

When I find one I think may be suitable in terms of performance, I often cant see a horizontal one.

Thanks

Have fitted a couple of RD horizontal cylinders and have no hesitation in recommending them.

A word of warning, let your plumber specify the size of cylinder you need because there is more to it than meets the eye and you don't want to have to spend this kind of money twice.

thanks will do, just getting ideas to discuss with chap coming on Tuesday to quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks will do, just getting ideas to discuss at chap coming on Tuesday to quote.

If you post you location there may be a member close to you that could help out and maybe give you a quote for your job

Sorry just getting used to terminology and heating/water systems and online forums, what do you mean RM.

Im in Bosham on South Coast between Havant and Chi, PO18

Sorry just getting used to terminology and heating/water systems and online forums, what do you mean RM.

Im in Bosham on South Coast between Havant and Chi, PO18

RM Cylinders are a UK cylinder manufacturer.

Erm, not on the Water Front, near the train station and pub, want the extra showers to let out room/flatlet when done!

Advice very appreciated.

please explain where you are going to get 45L for the hot water and as much for the cold water supply ?

please explain where you are going to get 45L for the hot water and as much for the cold water supply ?

Until I get tests done Tuesday regarding the incoming water pressure and flow rate I cant answer that, but as mentioned the water pressure coming in is so powerful (have to turn stop tap down or it blasts out) that I believe I have a good supply, no idea how many litres a minute that will turn out to be, be interesting on Tuesday when I find out, if its 20 or something then I need to find a solution.

Quite new to this area, but seems to me if I have an excellent supply coming in and I restrict that supply by putting in a boiler system that can only heat water and realease at 11 - 20 litres a minute (not the capability of the ACV with capacity of 46L utilising the water from the water already stored and heated), I have little chance of more than 2 showers working adequately at the same time.

If it means two systems, a great combi with hot water supply storage facility (meaning less instant heating time) or an unvented system with a pretty good boiler and rapid recovery heat system of some nature, i dont mind.

All I know at minute is conventional system is not working even though mains water pressure great, got water tanks all over the place taking up space and stopping me doing a loft conversion.

The ACV unit mentioned is being fitted in domestic applications (video on U Tube) so would presume even if 46l is slight overkill, better to have a system in place that has more capacity not less. Gas inlet connection required seems to be 3/4 for the device which (not an expert, but think is standard domestic supply size).

Truth is I think the ACV having looked at all advice, as nice as it may be, is probably overkill and too expensive for what I need. Non the less, I need solutions that will run at least 3 showers and a basin simultaneously and am researching those.

Any advice along meeting the solution (as not a plumber) welcome.

Remember the T.S.S. croppie suggests is 300 kilo's fully loaded.Check the load in your loft eaves etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi boiler for a 4 bathroom house - Advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock