Search the forum,

Discuss combi 90 , worst boiler ever? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXR100

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
had 3 breaking down on me this week! same thing on 2 but one was a right off , hex washers leaking onto ch pump and finishing it!! leaked so much that I couldn't get the pump head off it was so rusted!, pump isolators started leaking , ended up changing the pump , pump unions , all 4 hex washers , the filling loop going into the boiler chamber , a melted prv valve , and a melted aav ! im bloody scared to take the cover off the next one incase all the water gushes out of all the leaks like a tsunami and drowns me , along with the whole village ...... !!! never seen anything leak so much!

Excuse my ignorance, but what make is the "Combi 90" ?
Is it a Grant?
I hate all oil combis and don't work on any of them unless the customer is very nice to me, or the boiler is in good condition. I hate Warmflow Combis particularly.
You could spend longer servicing/repairing one than it would have taken to install it.

Last edited:
That's because you didn't service it properly the previous year! :smile:

I must admit the baffles on the Grant Vortex are tight and no tolerence to factory build variations or the shell metal warping a little. You need keep the shell really clean and also need to carry a grinder to shave any tight parts of those baffles.
I love the Vortex if I regularly service them

Excuse my ignorance, but what make is the "Combi 90" ?
Is it a Grant?
I hate all oil combis and don't work on any of them unless the customer is very nice to me, or the boiler is in good condition. I hate Warmflow Combis particularly.
You could spend longer servicing/repairing one than it would have taken to install it.

Warmflows are always at least a half shift and always need baffles

I shall correct you on that.

The Grant Vortex. Only boiler I've needed to use a club hammer and crowbar on to remove the baffles.

I don't particularly like grants either but i'll take the cash

That's because you didn't service it properly the previous year! :smile:

I must admit the baffles on the Grant Vortex are tight and no tolerence to factory build variations or the shell metal warping a little. You need keep the shell really clean and also need to carry a grinder to shave any tight parts of those baffles.
I love the Vortex if I regularly service them

First time I've serviced the thing.

Next year if I do it I'll make sure I've got scalebreaker with me.l

First time I've serviced the thing.

Next year if I do it I'll make sure I've got scalebreaker with me.l

Ye can get them out with a toffee hammer. A wee dunt and they come out easy enough depending how they've been running right enough. I'd one that took me a good half hour to pull them.
On the bright side , at least you can put them back in.
It could be a warmflow. They come out no problem cos they are melted away lol

Combi 90 sounds like a warmflow. Money on not enough expansion. Same with most leaky sealed systems. Lack of maint or p poor installation.

Nope. Worst boiler ever was the Myson Midas B.

Are / were they the ones you made least money out of?

Or are they the ones that Plumbers dumped on your counter and said

" I want a warranty replacement" - yes, the entire boiler

Are / were they the ones you made least money out of?

Or are they the ones that Plumbers dumped on your counter and said

" I want a warranty replacement" - yes, the entire boiler

In fairness, it was a gas boiler - when I posted I missed the fact that this was the oil/solid fuel forum. The Myson Midas B was an experimental combi back in the late 80's - it was the first to use twin pumps instead of a diverter valve.

Cutting edge technology back then! I sold 36 of them onto a local site, and 34 of the 36 failed on installation. The Myson engineer more or less lived on site for about a month.

Oddly enough, the fan flue version - the Midas SI - worked fine.

Buderus have to be right up there with the worst. I remember fitting them for southampton city council. They were packing up quicker than we could fit them! They decided in their wisdom to stop using them and started fitted isars instead!

if you want stupid baffles, try getting rayburn ones out with just a length of steel wire to do it with, has to be the most stupid design!!!!!

and the oil nouvelle ones that crumble as you try and encourage them out, tapered baffles into a tapered opening, there's an idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to combi 90 , worst boiler ever? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock