Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water tank overflow draining to gutter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lhopkins

Is it against building regs to feed the water tank overflow into a gutter and down the rain pipe? I have just had a bill for £600 from my water company after not realising the council had fed the overflow into the gutter. I had no idea there was leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should overflow somewhere visible where it won't cause a nuisance - how would you know it's overflowing if you can't see it ?

Think any overflow should be visible, so to avoid waste of water.

Exactly. I'm going to try for compensation as I am sure this must be against regulation. We're still shocked. Even the council emergency plumber was shocked. I'm trying to find something written and official to add to my letter. Any ideas?

Hope you have plenty of photos as evidence, before anyone alters the overflow? Really not your fault.

the warning pipe (refered to commonly as overflow) is supposed to be positioned so when it runs with water it warns the householder/tennant that a problem is there. Normally positioned over/next to a window or door. If it had been run into a gutter then how would you know it was running??

if its a council property then they should pay the bill, simple.

Last edited:
Here you go, direct from the Water Regulation Advisory Scheme (WRAS).

http://www.wras.co.uk/PDF_Files/IGN9-04-04-Cisterns-Issue2.pdf

Page 2 under the heading 'warning pipe'

‘Warning Pipe’ means an overflow pipe with its inletlocated in the cistern at such a height that it will start toflow before the main overflow operates and with its outletlocated in a position where the discharge of water can bereadily seen.

The important word is 'conspicuous'. If the overflow pipe isn't in a 'conspicuous position' then it doesn't comply with the Water Regs.

What no one's mentioned yet, and assuming I remember correctly, is that the home owner is legally responsible for his plumbing and making sure it complies to the Water Regs/BS6700. IIRC, the only defence a home owner has if his system is found to not comply is that he used an approved plumber who issued a cert. that states the work complies to BS6700.

In the old Water Regs an overflow was sometimes referred to as a "nuisance" pipe. The water inspectors liked them in positions where they would cause nuisance problems for the householder. I doubt an overflow discharging along a gutter and down a drain would be regarded as such it would be to easy to ignore.

Its frustrating I know but Veggie Dave may be right, observance of Water Laws are down to the householder. Its the same with the Gas Regulations.

Sorry to be a nit-picker Dave but work does not have to comfort to BS 6700 or indeed any British Standard as they are Codes of Practise not Regulations (Statute / Law) quite often if you work to the BS you will not break the Water Regulations but for instants some electrical work will not comply with BS7671 17th but with not break the Electricity at Work Act.

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I figured the previous discussion would be relevant as I think it was left hanging at bit at the end.

Is there a breach of regulations of some kind if the warning pipe from a loft tank discharges into the horizontal gutter attached to the fascia boards running along the roofline, then down a vertical downpipe. I understand the realities of the warning not being visible.

Also, would, for example, a surveyor who was surveying on behalf of a buyer raise it as an issue?

Yes, Water Regulations 1999 Section 7 Schedule 2.16 (4) Every storage cistern shall be fitted with - (a) an overflow pipe, with a suitable means of warning of impending overflow, which excludes insects;
Discharging into a gutter as you describe doesn't give warning.

No, wouldn't have a clue.

What's the deal if that isn't complied with? I guess I'm asking about enforcement / fines.

Not a hope.

If it's a house for sale then point out the error to your Solicitor who can contact the buyer and ask that they pay to correct it.
It should just be a simple matter of exending it over the guttering.

If it's already been purchased the recourse would be with the Surveyor if it had a Survey as opposed to a Mortgage valuation/ condition report.

Last edited:
What in an unregulated, un-policed & unenforced English building market, where anyone can call them self a Plumber!! .........absolutely zero.
In any case the water user (bill payer) is responsible in Law as was as mentioned by Veggie Dave (post 9).

Still on the plus side plumbers & their work is cheap as chips, (until it goes wrong a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold water tank overflow draining to gutter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock