Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water pipes blown apart - since fitting water meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ibts

Hi guys,

My parents have a combi boiler which was installed about 12 years ago and has been working fine. The other morning there was a bang and water started pouring out under the boiler.

I went over to help them out and had a quick look, 2 soldered joint on the cold water feed to the boiler had come apart completely. They got this fixed by a plumber but once the water was back on more leeks were found. Another cold water pipe on the sink in the downstairs loo had come apart and behind the washing machine in the kitchen was also leaking. That's been fixed today so now the water is back on again we're wondering if we're going to find any more leaks.

The only change to the water system recently was the fitting of a water meter to their supply in the street.

Anybody got any idea what could have happened here?

Many thanks

sounds like an increase in pressure since the water meter was fitted. most likely the stopcock outside wasn't turned on fully or partially blocked causing pressure drop. when the new one was fitted and opened fully the pressure had to go somewhere i.e. leaks showing up. I would expect to see a few more to be honest.

Yea not being soldered right from day one

See this all the time normally straight after combi conversations (from gravity systems)

It isn't the fault of higher pressure. Even though this was the instigator. The fault lies with the poor quality of the soldering and joints in the house. Most plumbing can survive 3 x, or more of the pressure of what the supply can give.

It isn't the fault of higher pressure. Even though this was the instigator. The fault lies with the poor quality of the soldering and joints in the house. Most plumbing can survive 3 x, or more of the pressure of what the supply can give.

yes of course you're right

If there's the slightest sniff of gas ( consider similar workmanship on other areas in copper ! )

... if old may not be case with steel pipe ..

Water meter will have non return valve. Cold water enters building,warms and expands. Unless mini expansion vessel on cold main, pressure will find weakest point. Made worse if water hammer also involved.

You could have a pressure regulator fitted on the incoming cold mains along with an expansion vessel.

There is one specifically for combi's or you could use the type that is commonly used on the 15ltr undersink water heaters.

This should take any hammer/shocks out of the equation and also allow you to find the sweet point for your old pipework that will not cause more leaks,

Thanks,

Andy (Allgoode)

You could have a pressure regulator fitted on the incoming cold mains along with an expansion vessel.

There is one specifically for combi's or you could use the type that is commonly used on the 15ltr undersink water heaters.

This should take any hammer/shocks out of the equation and also allow you to find the sweet point for your old pipework that will not cause more leaks,

Thanks,

Andy (Allgoode)

sounds like an increase in pressure since the water meter was fitted. most likely the stopcock outside wasn't turned on fully or partially blocked causing pressure drop. when the new one was fitted and opened fully the pressure had to go somewhere i.e. leaks showing up. I would expect to see a few more to be honest.

stopcock just cracked open or fully open the pressure will be the same either way.

THE

.... hammer/shocks .....

Andy (Allgoode)

are probably worsened by having the stop-cock wide open , allowing a more violent result from any device or user
that demands a high flow rate then stops dead , (modern washing machines ) , the one way valve remembering this max pressure , till it finds somewhere to weep / spurt . " Hydraulic-slam" ... probably a new word !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold water pipes blown apart - since fitting water meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our property, and the property itself. The water company fitted a new (smart) meter about 4 weeks ago. Now they have contacted us saying we have a leak...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by local authority. I had no say in who carried out the work. I have called the builder out under the guarantee several times for water leaks. The shower...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
Morning. I have a leak. It’s coming from the connector pipe….the picture shows the pipe. It is a cold water pipe going in to the back of my dishwasher. I assume the washer may need a replacement. Anyway I cannot for the life of me turn the water off I.e at this cap. I understand I should turn...
Replies
Views
Hi there I fitted a Sanicompact 43 about10 years ago. A few years ago i noticed that it would intermittently activate in the middle of the night so I fitted a simple pull cord swith to turn it off at night About a month ago I recently had a blockage so pulled it apart and cleaned everything...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help me with an ongoing issue I've had since I had an annual service on my combi boiler, which is a Potterton Performa 24. Literally after they left I started experiencing yellow water (pale) from all my taps - hot and cold, including the toilet. This was intermittent and then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock