Search the forum,

Discuss Cold Radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the valve is open...

What about the valve on the other side ? It does not matter how bad the system is paiped , rads WILL get hot if all the others are turned off !!!
You need to check the other valve an also let air out + I am sure you have not turn all the others off , pls double check all rads are cold + please check boiler thermostat that is set at min 65 ! If not sure pls stop playing with it and get a plumber in to sort it should be easy to fault find it

My response was "I think" because the plumber said that the lockshield valve was open. All other rads are cold..We've checked for air.Thanks for your help. I will speak to the plumber

Finally the radiator is luke warm. The heating has been on for four hours and all other rads were turned off for the duration

What is temperature set at boiler ? It could be problem with boiler tbh if temperature is set at 60 and rad is not getting hot or there is a blockage or the rev is faulty ! Please remove head of trv valve

I said it was going to be a long night:rolleyes2: round and round and round, you need to get someone else to look at it and send the plumber from hell the bill:bandana: there's more guessing going on here than University Challenge or more like a game of tennis, if you live round the corner I would come round and sort it. Where do you live ????

Last edited by a moderator:
Just employ the fellow member to sort it out for you ! It will not cost you that much and will alow you to get on with your day to day duties

The temp on the boiler seems to be fluctuating between 66 and 80...

Ha ha ha ....I work in Leeds Wed, Thurs, Fri. Is next week convenient? Thanks Jules ;))

I plucked up the courage and spoke to the plumber this morning. I felt as though I knew a bit more to ask the right questions than I did before all everyones great advice on this forum. He is sticking to his guns and telling me that the boiler is under powered. He said that you lose 20% and that the approx output of the 15 radiators is 100btu (?!!) I'm not sure how I could work out the demand from the radiators...
There is some 22mm pipe upstairs but then it goes down to 15mm downstairs. He says that it's not standard practise to use 22mm everywhere and that he would even struggle to get the connections.. He also mentioned that he could fit a pump and that might help. He's also saying that he won't be responsible for an underpowered boiler as that was fitted by someone ele but at no stage did he say that the boiler is underpowered until now...
Thanks very much and any further help would be appreciated... Tony is hoping to come next week

Boiler underpowered is rubbish and is one of the first things I check when installing additional rads. Your response to this should have been to say that you had turned all the other rads off so it was only running the additional ones. Good luck for next week.

No plumber worth his salt add radiators to a system that would render the boiler under size, there is no more to be said, I will be there next week to have a look Jules

Tony the Terrible :20:

Bet his come off a return from a rad which he thought was a flow (Some people think that because it has a TRV on it its going to be a flow, which is not always the case) , and tied what he thought was a return into a return to pick up for his new circuit (If you get the jist) wont work unless the rad his come off is working/trv open etc. I've seen that before with people not knowing what their doing. Its a proper head scratcher when you come up against it as you eyes miss it the first few times because your mind and skill tells you No he wouldnt of done that. My picture I drew up quickly might make it clearer.

Attachments

• Rads Piped Incorrectly_1.jpg
    Rads Piped Incorrectly_1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 57
Thank you for the drawing.... If we turn off all the other radiators after an hour or so the temperamental rad becomes barely luke warm...would your suggestion still apply? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold Radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock