Search the forum,

Discuss cold rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so today i have traced as much of the pipework as possible by taking up floorboards etc....
i cannot find any kinks. squashed bits. It goes 22mm down to 15mm down again to 10mm for about the last 2 metres.
I have taken off the rad in question and connected a washing machine hose between the flow and return...opened both valves, turned on heating briefly to check and now i have a good flow and the washing machine pipe is getting hot!!!
Why dont i get this when i connect the rad back up???????????????????????????????????????????????

maybe a restriction in the radiator? take it outside and put your garden hose on it and flush it out

Ok, so today i have traced as much of the pipework as possible by taking up floorboards etc....
i cannot find any kinks. squashed bits. It goes 22mm down to 15mm down again to 10mm for about the last 2 metres.
I have taken off the rad in question and connected a washing machine hose between the flow and return...opened both valves, turned on heating briefly to check and now i have a good flow and the washing machine pipe is getting hot!!!
Why dont i get this when i connect the rad back up???????????????????????????????????????????????

take rad outside and flush it out

must be greater resistance, the system needs balancing

when rad off did you open both valves for split second to check they both run well?

Again as the previous one, i reckon biggest problem here is the need to balance the system correctly. I bet less than 10% of fitters balance a system correctly or even know how to.

its often not needed with powerful pumps and well designed systems, but when something like this happeneds its required

Stupid question.
Shall i open the valves and check for flow with the heating switched off?
Should i get a good flow of water from the flow and return??

Ok, so i now have taken off the washing machine hose and both valves are closed. HEATING TURNED OFF.
Open wheelshield(flow) lots of water coming out and good flow, no air spluttering. Close wheelshield.
Open Lockshield(return) bleed valve closed.........a trickle of water coming out.....constant but trickling, no air spluttering.
Opened bleed valve aswell...the same result
WHY IS THIS HAPPENING ON THE RETURN??????????

Why have i only got a trickle of water coming out of the return pipework?

Ok, so i now have taken off the washing machine hose and both valves are closed. HEATING TURNED OFF.
Open wheelshield(flow) lots of water coming out and good flow, no air spluttering. Close wheelshield.
Open Lockshield(return) bleed valve closed.........a trickle of water coming out.....constant but trickling, no air spluttering.
Opened bleed valve aswell...the same result
WHY IS THIS HAPPENING ON THE RETURN??????????

have you tried valve open on return with rad off?

Valve open on return...water trickling out. There is no TRV, just a lockshield on return and wheel valve on flow.

then there is obviously a problem in the return pipe, can you get the mains on it

Either mains pressure water to unblock it as Fuzzy says, or attach a footpump and give it a couple of jabs. Thats what usually works for me.

Day 4 and still working!
Beginning to relax.
Another couple of days and I'll believe we've cracked it!!!

Hi guys.
1 week and rads still working!
I think we've cracked it.
Thanks to everyone for their help, especially Fuzzy and Halesowen1, who have stuck with this from the start.
Great site and great help.
Once again, THANKS

Hi guys.
Thanks to everyone for their help, especially Fuzzy and Halesowen1, who have stuck with this from the start.
Once again, THANKS

im made up, hope it stays working, well done

I know theres loads of information in this thread that I intend to learn and remember :)

Hi guys.
Once again, THANKS

Thanks needs to go to OP for listening, describing the problem and doing as suggested, so many people come on here and don't do what we advice and then wonder why it isn't working.

Thanks Fuzzy.
Nice that people are prepared to go out of their way to help others.
Cheers mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cold rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock