Search the forum,

Discuss Cold Pressure Almost nil, after new shower Install. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marlon-ZA

Good evening gentleman.

This would be the first post of many. As I pick up DIY myself, I am immensely interested in the aspects of plumbing.

This post is about that, and also so I can wear the proverbial other mans shoe (my plumber) before I think irrational things.

So, I have a 25 year old house, all Ok, and a 100kpa geyser/water heater in the roof.
With the shower being on the old side, we decided to have it retiled, new taps fitted, etc.

The guy who did it, awesome, honest person, did a great job, retiled, changed out the two old single taps to a modern Amalfi mixer. He also changed the hot water feed to the shower mix with some high pressure piping (as he said, when we ever change the geyser to a modern 600kpa, the pipe would need replacing anyway).

Now, the rest of house always had low hot water pressure, and cold was fine. There are basin mixers in the kitchen, and they worked ok.

Upon completion of the shower, I tried to take that magical first shower, and I expected the low pressure from the hot water heater to be an issue. However, it flowed OK with the mixer set to hot.

Sadly, when I turned it to cold, NOTHING happened, but a few drops (It would take 5 mins to fill a beer glass as that rate).

This did not make sense. If anything, the hot should be suffering, right? Even with the mixer to all the way to cold-only, it did not flow.

I asked him to come back, and he checked out the joints and made sure nothing was crimped in.

Eventually, the conclusion was the geyser is the issue, and needs to be replaced. Some words about balancing, and yadda yadda.

That's fine. He won't lie. However, I think he might not understand the situation, or I am not understanding it.

If it was just my low pressure geyser being to blame, why does the cold water flow fine at normal taps, and the other mixers?

Secondly, why is the cold low, only at the shower, and not the hot side?

I cannot come to terms with this, and its technically bugging the crap out of me.

On wednesday after Christmas, they are coming to fit a new 600kpa geyser, at great cost, and I still think it's not the issue.

Help me understand this one, please guys

Oh and merry christmas to whom it may concern!
Safe holidays.

Marlon

Could be a blockage, an airlock (if the cold isn't mains fed to the shower)
Do the other cold taps in the shower room work/flow properly?
What is high pressure piping, did the plumber explain it to you?
Has he put a pump on the hot side to give better flow to the shower and not fitted non return valves
I'm guessing you're not living in the UK, so don't know what sort of system you have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold Pressure Almost nil, after new shower Install. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock