Search the forum,

Discuss Close coupled toilet help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andieu

Hello.
This is my first post, so apologies if it's not in the right place.
I should point out that I'm not a plumber, but yesterday I tried to be!
I replace the flushing mechanism in my
toilet (the push button for the flush had broken and it wasn't universal. I replaced the whole flush mechanism and everything it fine(no leaks outside the toilet) but there is water trickling into the toilet bowl all of the time.
Is there a way to stop this? It's like the seal on the 'plunger' that opens when you flush isn't fully closing.
The instructions that came
with the mechanism are in Dutch and French so I'm hoping there is an easy fix for this that I can't translate.
Many thanks in advance for any help or advise...I need to prove to my husband that I'm not mad for attempting this!!
Andi

If its the flush valve with the rods in the top , the button may be pressing on the rod part opening the valve . Cut the rod to correct length.
Difficult to be sure though without seeing valve

If you raise the cistern lid slightly does the trickle stop?? If so the rods are just left a little too long..

It trickles even when the lid is off the cistern.
The only way I can 'manually' stop it is to press down gently on the central overflow pipe which in turn puts pressure on the part of the mechanism with the big rubber washer on it that goes up to let the water out. It's almost as if that isn't closing properly.
I'm going to take it apart and refit it to the cistern later today when I've finished work and see if reseating everything helps at all.

When I first 'built' it the cistern was leaking from the seal where the mechanism screws in-the big hole where the eater goes down when you flush- so I took it apart and I fitted a washer between the big plastic 'nut' that holds the mech in place and the outside of the cistern. I have a sneaky feeling that although the leak on the outside of the cistern has gone and my floor is dry, it may be the same joint leaking 'inwards'. Any tips for making the seal between the mech and the cistern watertight?
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
i ASSUME THAT YOU DID PUT A SEAL ON THE INSIDE UNDER THE PIPE MECHANISM LEADING INTO THE PAN?

Sorry for the capitals. Had lock on. It souns as if it is getting under the flush mechanism where it joins the cistern on the inside and running down the thread into the toilet. Did you tighten the nut sufficiently (presuming you fitted the internal seal. It was suggested on this forum that it is a good idea to fill the cistern manually before fitting the toilet in place in order to check for a good seal. Seems to be a good suggestion prior to fitting. As I assume that you will have to take it out to sort your problem I would do a test on water-tightness before refitting. I didn't but it would have saved some grief in having to remove to rectify.

what valve did you replace it with it might just be a dud! try re installing it

Yes I did put a seal on the inside under the pipe mechanism. But it was leaking onto the floor at the back of the toilet..so I thought that a washer on the outside might solve the problem, but I have a sneaky feeling this has just diverted the leak to inside the toilet.
I did tighten the nut up fully when I first fitted the mechanism, but it leaked, thus the washer being added to the outside.

I guess at least it's leaking into the toilet rather than onto the floor!:eek:

One other thing I just thought of.. on the mechanism, theres a little slide switch that adjusts the 'economy flush' but at the bottom of the mech theres a grey sliding door that is labelled with the dutch for 'valve'. It slides open and shut and theres justa 'chamber'/ blank area behind it. I have tried opening, closing and half opening the door on this but it makes no difference.

You guys make this look so easy :)

what valve did you replace it with it might just be a dud! try re installing it

I'm not totally sure which bit you mean by 'valve'.. if you mean the big black washer that sits between the cistern and the toilet pan, then I used the new one that came with this mech.. it leaked.. so I used the old one( which wasn't leaking before) and it leaked.

Sorry if I'm sounding really daft... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
If you replaced the flush mechanism without taking the cistern and/or toilet off the wall how good is your access to tighten up the nut underneath? Did you tighten by hand or were you able to get a spanner of some sort onto it? Can be difficult insitu if access is limited as in a separate WC.

If you replaced the flush mechanism without taking the cistern and/or toilet off the wall how good is your access to tighten up the nut underneath? Did you tighten by hand or were you able to get a spanner of some sort onto it? Can be difficult insitu if access is limited as in a separate WC.

I took the cistern off the wall and off the toilet pan. I got it completely off.. water inlet and all. I did tighten the big white nut to hold the mech in place by hand... though I have a pretty strong grip from work (i'm an engineer), so it should be done tighter than most girly girls would tighten it!
Maybe a special spanner would do it a bit tighter.
Would B&Q sell them do you think?

If you are removing the cistern the nI would tighten the nut, stand unit on a couple of bricks, fill to below overflow and leave for half an hour then check for leaks with kitchen roll.

I used a pair of stilsons as they were big enough for the nut. I have strong hands but the nut is only narrow to gain purchase.

Can't you borrow large adjustable or similar from a work coleague?

Ah well. Back to the tiling in the bathroom.

Easy T

Thankyou. I'll try to get a big spanner and do it up a bit tighter. At least it's not leaking onto the floor now!
Enjoy the tiling. I did the bathroom
and the kitchen a couple of years ago. Tiling=dull but grouting is so satisfying! :)

does the new syphon have an internal overflow? could it not be that the ball valve is set too high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Close coupled toilet help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

No, not a medical problem - I mean there's a constant slow dribble of water from the cistern into the toilet bowl. There's a slight giveaway ripple, plus I tested it with one of those dye tablets from the water board and the colour came through quite quickly. The toilet is a close-coupled...
Replies
Views
Hi all, hope you're well. First of all I am trying desperately to fix the toilet myself. I have told the wife I can do it so my reputation as man is at stake...lol. The truth is all was going fine until our ensuite toilet started leaking. So thought I would replace the everything as they were...
Replies
Views
C
Advice would be very much appreciated. We have a tiled-in concealed cistern and a floating toilet pan (wall-hung). The concealed cistern and wall frame inside the tiles are fine, but we may need to replace the pan, because it's almost impossible to reach the nuts that secure it to the wall...
Replies
Views
C
U
Hi all, looking for help please with a smelly toilet. Had bathroom fully refitted with toilet and bath position swapped. Set up is now sink to left and bath to right of toilet and believe all use same drainage under the bath. The roof vent was removed to allow new full size bath and valves...
Replies
Views
Billy Bob Bob
B
C
Hi guys, I was wondering if you could provide some guidance dealing with a very difficult situation I'm in. Some of you helped me with another issue (broken drain pipe) here: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/94058-broken-cracked-sewerage-pipe-garden-options.html#post913865 It's...
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock