Currently reading:
Clogged toilet and flooding the neighbour

Discuss Clogged toilet and flooding the neighbour in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marekexp

Some time ago I had my toilet clogged. I have my flush and pipes behind the wall. The pipes are build in the way that one goes in another. The pipes was clogged below the merging point. When the water didn't want to go, it found its way through the merging point. And now I have a problem. Because of that we flooded our neighbour below. Our flat owner says it's our fault, because we clogged the toilet and we say that it's the owner's fault because of the faulty pipes. What do you think? I made some drawings along with picture and a short video.

Picture: b5kqqTb.jpg
Video: [video=youtube;xuVSeEG5I1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuVSeEG5I1s [/video]
Drawing:kibel.png

What do you think? Whose fault is it? Mine for clogging the toilet, or owner's for having bad pipes?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it blocked from your loo your the culprit, Ya don't use wet wipes by any chance do ya. ?

I have no idea why did it clog. The thing is that the owner wants me to pay for the damages of the flat below, but I don't think it's my fault, because pipes should be leakproof(therefore it's the owner's fault IMO).

I have no idea why did it clog. The thing is that the owner wants me to pay for the damages of the flat below, but I don't think it's my fault, because pipes should be leakproof(therefore it's the owner's fault IMO).

who installed the bathroom you or the landlord/owner?

If the toilet flooded by overflow of bowel it may be your fault, but you seem to be saying the leak was from a pipe joint at merging point which indicates faulty pipe joint.
It is probable pipe previously blocked and joint was stressed by use of plunger to clear.

Leak was from the pipe joint at merging point as you say and the pipe wasn't previously blocked. The only time when the plunger was ever used in that toilet was to clear the clog that I'm talking about.

Leak was from the pipe joint at merging point as you say and the pipe wasn't previously blocked. The only time when the plunger was ever used in that toilet was to clear the clog that I'm talking about.

who installed the toilet?

Use plunger with care as opening push fit joint before clearing blockage is always likely.
My solution in these situations is to roll up sleeve, wet arm up to elbow with water from cold tap. Then with arm dripping water explain to lady of the house that forearm is too big for bend but her more delicate bone structure may offer a solution.

The owner

it should be the owners fault but then he will say it blocked because the user put something down it there not supposed to and it can go round and round, if you want to end this quickly maybe split the cost with the owner ???

if you dont you can try and fight it but you might not win in the end upto you sorry

Use plunger with care as opening push fit joint before clearing blockage is always likely.
My solution in these situations is to roll up sleeve, wet arm up to elbow with water from cold tap. Then with arm dripping water explain to lady of the house that forearm is too big for bend but her more delicate bone structure may offer a solution.

:D wimp its only poo

It may be poo to you but it's bread and butter to me.

I'm not willing to split any cost, so I have to prepare for a fight.. What's more she didn't even insure the flat, which is unthinkable for me if you're renting it.
Thanks a lot for the help

On a serious note, read the terms of your tenancy to ensure any clauses will not put you at a disadvantage. eg. did you report the blockage as soon as it became apparent, and who used the plunger.

Was there a tenancy agreement, signed or not. If you were given one and moved in, then you have agreed the tenancy by your performance.

If there is no tenancy agreement then she has no right to demand money out of you.

In my opinion that white flexi pan connector should be going straight on to the back of the pan so I would say the pipework is dodgy. You will find build up of toilet paper and poo in the collar of that white connection. Thats what my money would be on anyway.

I'm not willing to split any cost, so I have to prepare for a fight.. What's more she didn't even insure the flat, which is unthinkable for me if you're renting it.
Thanks a lot for the help

There wasn't even a tenancy and your surprised she hasn't insured it?

Allright everyone. We had a plumber here and he said that it was badly done pipes that caused the leakage. So I was right. Thank you all for your replies, you helped a lot :)

Post 6 says plunger not used before blockage. We can also conclude that everything worked ok with no escape of water before blockage. I started with sympathy for the tenant but from the responses , especially a refusal to take any responsibility, this has diminished.
The use of plunger seems directly related to flooding, and tenant is silent as to who used plunger. Badly done or not the system worked prior to blockage. Share cost and get proper tenancy agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Clogged toilet and flooding the neighbour in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back