Search the forum,

Discuss Cleaning Copper Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I create things using copper pipe such as lamps etc. I would like to know if someone has a very simple way of removing the tarnish that is visible after soldering copper pipe? The best way I have found is wire wool, however, I'm not a huge fan of the stuff and I tend to go through quite a lot.

I have tried wd40 and brasso but that just doesn't give the same finish as wire wool does. Does anyone know of a solution that will clean well with very little effort please?

Any help would be appreciated.

Try not to tarnish the pipe when soldering. Don't overheat it.
Use the plumbing abrasive strips to clean the pipe later. (The type that resemble the abrasive pads for scrubbing saucepans).
Lasts much longer than steel wool and easy on your hands. Although some fine grade steel wool is hard to beat

If you are simply soldering copper pipes together, try 'grease' based flux, like traditional Yorkshire or Fluxite. It will let the solder flow well and leave the pipe fairly clean if you don't overheat it

Try some brown sauce seen it been done on an old victorian slab urinal with copper pipework brought it up like new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cleaning Copper Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock