Search the forum,

Discuss City & Guilds Level 3 Exams in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

-Kev-

Alrite, was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the exams are like on the level 3, particually the written exams I've heard of?

Bit worried about these as I havn't done a written exam in a very long time lol

Cheers, Kev.

Since the exams have gone to computer, they have become unpredictable, to say the least. when the exams were paper based, they were pretty much limited to what they could ask you and the questions were always on the subject. Now!! I've had health and safety questions on advnaced cold water and planning questons on sanitation (which if your learing in a modular form is just stupid!) Doing gas exam next week and dreading what they could possibly ask! The planning is still paper based, and their is only paper A,B or C, so not to many surprizes they can throw at us there! (is there???)

They are very strange, its the first year its been online, I think its better because it can ask you anything from the previous exams but worryingly people have been asked level 3 questions on a level 2 exam.

I had central heating today and some of the diagrams I couldn't even understand, small text and pointing to obscure drawings.

Hello Kev,
Have you written the system planning exam yet? I am writing it tomorrow and I can tell you everyone on our course is totally unsure of what to expect? Mind you, without mentioning names our college is terribly. I only subsequently found this out since starting the course. Enough about the college though. If you have not written yet I will send you some info when I do on Wednesday. If you have written it already I hope you could share some info on it too?
Regards,
Lee

hi i am going to start level 3 in two weeks, iam looking forward to it but am nervous also, am doing fast track so will be lots of pressure.

They wern't as bad as I thought in the end, I've finished my level 3 now.

Although I don't know how people can even do fast track, way too much information to take in too fast, I much prefer doing block release like I've done.

The hardest exam was the written city&guilds exam, heat loss calculation question can be very tricky.

has anyone completed the plumbing portfolio for city and guilds that you need to do while out working to achieve your full certificate?

Hello everybody
I amconsidering starting C&G 6129 Domestic Plumbing Studies Level 3 & ACSGas Training for 6,000 at OLCI Training Centre. (Takes 6 to 8 months tocomplete –full-time)
I have threequestions
· Areall the C&G 6129 Domestic Plumbing Studies Level 3 exams Multiple Choice Exams?
· WhenI start ACS Gas Training will it be written exams or Multiple Choice Exams(because I don’t like written exams L)
· WillI be awarded the ACS Gas accreditation certificates (this is without the NVQ; Ican understand I will need NVQ Training later…)

Becareful with that training centres. They will charge you from the beginning, and than when you finish level 3 you won't be able to start Gas directly, because they will ask you to fill your ACS portfolio first, which is about 25 jobs including 5 combi installations, open flu appliances.... .And when you just finish your level 3 plumbing it is not easy to get your portfolio finish. other thing OLCi training centre Manchester is a tiny place, work shops are not good. My advice is talk to some colleges how the procudure goes.
And your question there will be multiple choice and written exams.

for me olci was worth it, i did most of my training in their livingston centre and that was up to scratch. i finished my portfolio at the end, i think as long as you give it the time and effort it needs you will get there with it. the trouble with college is that you dont get the flexability and it was a nightmare to get into.

mohammed maybe speak to someone at the centre about how you dont like writtn exams, extra tutor help gave me a boost gave it a go and its paid off

Hello NVivas

Do OCRI offer the NVQ – do they have there own gas saferegistered plumbers. Also how much money does it cost to achieve nvq if they dooffer it.

you have the same multiple chocice exam on the computer, and a written exam-which is basically a booklet with questions and all the references needed all BS's,building regs, water regs, etc, and its basically just showing your working out really, for example you might get a question which asks you to draw a picture of a indirect system, which you go to wras or werever and just draw it and say what reference you got the information from etc (BS 6700 is a big part of level 3 written exams), and working out pipe sizing for cold water pipes etc, unvented design installations, looking at site diagrams and working out drainage points, oh and heat loss calculations, you get plenty of time just dont waste it, learn to know where to look-that is the key of these exams, cause believe me times FLYSSSSSS, good luck mate.

mohammed yes they do the nvq and gas. i think its been running for a few years, so i guess they have gas registered plumbers. not sure the price for gas though maybe ask them?

just read your post warrington, the acs is the same everywhere thats how the course should be run so unfortunately if you want genuine quals then its going to be the same anywhere you look. im not saying its easy but its doable, you just have to put the work in not much is handed to you on a plate these days...

Hello everybody,

I am currently working towards 6129 basic plumbing studies level 2 and I will be starting RF Training to do the NVQ Level two 6189 which is going to take 8 weeks. After I have completed the NVQ, how difficult is it to find a company to work for as a domestic plumber. thank you

not enough work for the plumbers that are out there without new ones coming along. companies will always take an experienced plumber over someone who has only just completed their training. your nvq will not be completed in 8 weeks (the training centre part will) you will have to get a job to complete the onsite assessment part of the nvq. you will not attain the nvq until you have completed the onsite assessment part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to City & Guilds Level 3 Exams in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock