Search the forum,

Discuss City and guilds level 2. Help! Looks overwhelming! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sporty333

Hi guys

ice just signed up to the home study version of level 2 plumbing quali. Has anyone on here studied like this? Anyone gone through the course and made it out the other side?!

i receieved my book and study pack yesterday and to say the whole lot looks daunting is an understatement! Soooooooo much info to take in.

whats the exams like etc?

cheers in advance
simon

OK, you will not get particualrly positive responses regarding the "online" courses on here.
Yes, done it.
No, not difficult,
yes more time consuming than you give it credit for
I learn't quite a bit but not as much as an apprentice on a job would have, but i have a bit of paper !
Good luck....

Hi guys

ice just signed up to the home study version of level 2 plumbing quali. Has anyone on here studied like this? Anyone gone through the course and made it out the other side?!

i receieved my book and study pack yesterday and to say the whole lot looks daunting is an understatement! Soooooooo much info to take in.

whats the exams like etc?

cheers in advance
simon

Perhaps it is so daunting because you haven't got the services of a teacher & experienced Plumber to help, explain & guide you through it ?

What was you expecting it to be like? did you really think that the Plumbing trade was something that you could learn from a book ?

It took me 4 years full time to just scratch the surface, how long do you expect it to take you to pass your exams then Simon?

Sorry to say that even if you pass the exams that go with your course no one in the trade will employ you as they are not recognised.

Best of luck any ways

OK, you will not get particualrly positive responses regarding the "online" courses on here.
Yes, done it.
No, not difficult,
yes more time consuming than you give it credit for
I learn't quite a bit but not as much as an apprentice on a job would have, but i have a bit of paper !
Good luck....

Hi there

so the exams you have to take are not too difficult then? I was just shocked at the size of the books I received! I just don't know what to expect I guess...

to claer things up, I am already plumbing and I work with three experienced plumbers. I just need the qualification so I can apply for a plumbers job where I work, which is more money than I'm on. I'll get the jo cause I'm doing it already....I just need the paper work to apply for it.

cheers

Fair enough & sorry if I came across a bit strong but you will understand I have spent my whole working life trying to master it including 10 years teaching it so get a bit peeved when people think it can be done in weeks out of a book.

What kind of plumbing work do you do Simon i.e. house building, commercial, break downs?

This is a good place to ask questions if you don't understand anything in those books.

The whole point of learning 'knowledge' about plumbing is so that the knowledge learned can underpin and extend your competent performance. Qualifications also contribute to social mobility so you will be able to progress through different levels of the plumbing industry in the future.

However, when plumbing is written down it usually consists of facts e.g. max density of water exists at 4 degree C. So it is the memory of facts we are tested on, and not so much the knowledge required for solving problems and difficulties you really need to learn, in order to be a successful plumber.

The notion of learning abstract facts, away from a tutor, with no mediated help for you to grasp, understand and then to transfer the knowledge learned in college over to the work place, is a very tall order. In addition, you are outside of a college community of practice, which also makes learning difficult because you do not enjoy the social dimensions of learning. This forum, as a community of practice, can help you with this learning because there is a social dimension to learning here.

Thus, you have taken the most difficult route by far, in doing home study but it is not all bad in that you have work experience on a day to day basis which is where the real plumbing learning goes on!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Fair enough & sorry if I came across a bit strong but you will understand I have spent my whole working life trying to master it including 10 years teaching it so get a bit peeved when people think it can be done in weeks out of a book.

What kind of plumbing work do you do Simon i.e. house building, commercial, break downs?

This is a good place to ask questions if you don't understand anything in those books.
Hi Chris.

youve spent 10 years teaching plumbing?!

i am a qualified plaster by trade. Been doing that 25 years. I just need another challenge now. When I'm not plastering for the past 2 years I've been diving in with the plumbers at work. Been helping then fir bathrooms and kitchen plumbing. I'm now fitting bathrooms on my own. I have a mentor if I need any help or answers. Any questions I need answering I have three plumbers to ask. Very handy!

So, as you can see, it's only basic plumbing but that city and guilds would get me another 3k a year. I'm sure to get the In house job as my mentor will be retiring in something like 2 years. Should give me enough time! Lol

all I would like to know is about the exams. How hard etc. What training you get at Able when you go into the centre....

cheers
si

Thank you Clanger for your reply. Very well put. I understand it's not ideal but it's the pass I need! I can learn and be taught on the job. Alas not all aspects of plumbing but all we do at work is bathrooms and kitchens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to City and guilds level 2. Help! Looks overwhelming! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock