Search the forum,

Discuss Cistern problem, and help with fill, flush value setup. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have purchased a new toilet and the instructions are C*ap.

It doesn't tell you anything about how it should be setup.

1. There is not water level mark in the Cistern. So I don't know where my fill line is.
2. The flush value level is more of less inline with the top of the Cistern.
3. The overflow is more of less inline with the top of the flush value itself.

Here is a pic.

fill.jpg
Would I be right in thinking.

1. That I should try to create my own fill line. By filling the Cistern up with 6ltr of water and making a mark inside.

2. Position the fill valve float cup to the level of my new found fill line.

3. Then cut the overflow to be about 10mm above the fill line. With about a 1" gap between the fill valve critical line and flush valves overflow.

Thanks

Most instructions that come with toilets are useless, there should however be a fill line in the cistern or was this a cheap internet purchase?

Just turn the water on and adjust the fill valve till the water level is 25mm below the overflow

Looks very cheap... The overflow looks higher than that odd cut out in the back of the ceramic cistern! Does the lid fit, as that fill valves sticks up pretty high too!

Just fill it up and adjust the inlet valve to 100mm below the bottom of the rear entry lowest point and cut / lower the overflow to a level about 50mm below the rear entry lowest point.

Looks very cheap... The overflow looks higher than that odd cut out in the back of the ceramic cistern! Does the lid fit, as that fill valves sticks up pretty high too!

I know that's my point.

The overflow is practically level with the back of the Cistern, and when filled the water can spill over from the cutout at the top!!

So I have no choice but to cut the overflow down.

The lid doesn't fit either, because the fill valve CL has to be set higher than the overflow.

The unit toiler and fittings came from Betterbathrooms.

Last edited:
Just fill it up and adjust the inlet valve to 100mm below the bottom of the rear entry lowest point and cut / lower the overflow to a level about 50mm below the rear entry lowest point.

Hi,

Rear entry lowest point?

Do you mean the bottom of the Cistern?

Hi I am going to try this method.

Please see pic.

1. Fill Cistern to gauge 6 litres and mark fill line.
2. Adjust fill valve cup to be level with fill line.
3. Cut overflow to be proud fill line by about 25mm.

That should give me a 6ltr flush.

What do you think?

Thanks

Attachments

• fill1 copy.jpg
    fill1 copy.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 18
  • fillt copy.jpg
    fillt copy.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Yes that will do... I would personally send the Chinese crap back to wherever it came from!

Add more than 6 litres as there's normally a sump in the bottom that won't get drained every flush...

These things should come ready to use... No way does that we meet WRAS or any other recommendation

Just let it fill and adjust from there.

Not having an easy time with this bathroom :)

Strip down the cistern, take out the supplied bits and replace with fluid master components.

Yes that will do... I would personally send the Chinese crap back to wherever it came from!

Add more than 6 litres as there's normally a sump in the bottom that won't get drained every flush...

These things should come ready to use... No way does that we meet WRAS or any other recommendation

It came from Betterbathrooms, and it says it is WRAS approved on the flush valve.

I agree it is crap.

Just let it fill and adjust from there.

Not having an easy time with this bathroom :)

No I am not. But I am getting there lol.

I would like to adjust it once it is in place.

But removing the plastic pin to twist the shank of the fill valve would be a nightmare in that small cramped space.

This is why the instructions tell you do it with the fill valve out of the cistern.

You should be able to take the flush valve out without removing the cistern. This will give you some more hand space to adjust in situ

You should be able to take the flush valve out without removing the cistern. This will give you some more hand space to adjust in situ

You can but you would have to drain the Cistern and reach up behind the toilet to un-screw it.

It would be easier to do if I could get to the clip that allows you to adjust the fill valve height. Then I could adjust the fill valve it in situ. But there is hardly any space to get your hand in there, or twist the body of the fill valve around in that tiny space.

The flush valve should rotate 90 degrees anti-clockwise and lift out.

Hi,

I've just come back attempting to set it up, and have some more questions.

1. I managed to measure out 6litres of water and mark a pencil fill line in the Cistern.
2. Then I realised that the flush leaves 1litre of water at the bottom of the Cistern. Meaning I will only get a 5 litre flush! So I added another litre of water and adjusted the fill line.
3. This means the new fill line is set at 7litres, and the flush valve height is adjusted to shut off once it reaches that mark.

But the problem I have is that I now only have about 15mm of overlow sticking out of the water, and I can't allow it to go any higher, or else the water could flow over the back of the Cistern. Because they put a stupid cut out in the back off it!!!

I really don't have much room to manouever, as I only think the Cistern can hold around 8 litres.

It works, but the overlow line is only around 10mm from spilling over the back of the Cistern. But I reckon that it would take a huge amount of water for it for it not to be able to cope with discharging back through the valve.

I did say the sump of the cistern would hold water...

If it overflows before the cut out your okay... Seeing as it's all a DIY bank holiday Bodge up just fill the recess with silicone!

Why don't you hold down the fill valve with your finger & see if the overflow copes...

If needs be throttle down the isolation valve to slow the incoming mains to the toilet?

Hi,

I think I have done it.

I've adjusted the fill valve and set the flush settings.

Partial flush dumps 3 litres when pressed, and full flush dump 6.

The overflow is about 15mm out of the water, and there is still about 15mm from the top of the overflow to that silly cut out on the back of the Cistern.

I got no idea why they made that stupid cutout on the back of the Cistern. It allows the water to spill out of the back, and you lose about 30mm of space.

Will post some pics later on.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cistern problem, and help with fill, flush value setup. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock