Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Lability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Change of old cistern parts in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Alfred Robinson

Alfred Robinson New Member

I have an old Armatige cistern (35 years old) with a 3/8" hole for the flush lever fitting, I wanted to upgrade to a flush king kit so In could change everything in the cistern but their lever shafts only fit the new 1/2" holes.
    Anyone know a new type flush system where the lever will fit in a 3/8" hole please?
    Alfie

2. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Look at the Fluidmaster products. I know one has a button that sits on the outside but not sure on what else there is to be honest. Their products are as good a quality as you will get nowadays in my opinion.

Try this link to the site

3. Alfred Robinson

My problem is the hole for the flush lever etc needs a 1/2" hole. Mine being old is 3/8"

4. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Drill it out to 1/2".

5. Last Plumber

The one I am talking about is 3/8"

6. Alfred Robinson

The hole is 3/8" in a ceramic cistern and I am afraid if I try to enlarge it to 1/2" the cistern may crack.

7. steadyon

steadyon Active Member

If you use a diamond 1/2" hole saw and are very careful, using a template (which you can buy) to position it, you can drill ceramic with a low, but not non-existent, risk of cracking it. It's really a grinding process rather than a drilling process. Make sure you:

1. Keep the drill well lubricated with water.
    2. Take it very gently, particularly at the start until it has made a groove.
    3. Check, before you start, that a 1/2" hole will not have its lower edge below the water line, nor its upper edge too close (10mm?) to the upper edge of the cistern.

8. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

9. Alfred Robinson

yes I have that but I want to use the fluidmaster unit

10. Alfred Robinson

Sounds a bit risky. If I could just enlarge the existing 3/8" hole to 1/2" that would be great.

11. Last Plumber

The Fluid master Has a 3/8 " on some flush mechanisms !

12. Alfred Robinson

I phoned them and they said Kit 5 and 6 only in 1/2". Maybe the girl didn't understand but not in spec list.

13. Last Plumber

The one I have seen with 3/8 " was a push button which mounts on the outside.

14. gpbeck

gpbeck Member

The Fluidmaster lever has a rubber washer which fits 1/2 inch and can be removed for a smaller lever hole.

15. peter0504030201

peter0504030201 New Member

pictures would help please ?

16. gpbeck

gpbeck Member

17. thereisawizza

thereisawizza Plumber GSR

I drilled a left hand hold on an Ideal Standard cistern last week, used a Porsadrill, absolute doddle!

18. gpbeck

gpbeck Member

I’d buy the fluidmaster, test fit just the handle, return if unsuitable.