Discuss CH. Air noises driving me mad. Vented system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
( had a re read -- facts are a bit spread out )

A thought double check where any Olives got changed , for signs of small leaks when system at rest .

May be sucking air .
Still like looking for Gunge with magnet (Goal Difference)

Last edited:
Sorry for my delay, I've not had any notifications that you guys had replied...strange!

Anyway, since I tightened the draincock as per my photo I've had no annoying noises from the heating. I need to replace the noisey pump and I have a few questions regarding this but I'll open a new thread!

Thanks again,

Dean

Nice to hear got some progress , did DOC ( drain off cock ) weep a bit when system Off !

( Re: No Notification . Have been some forum changes )
( because things were getting a bit clogged ,just guessing )

Last edited:
I am fighting the same war at present, our bungalow has the radiators on drops from the loft and the boiler is a long way from the header tank with lot of horizontal pipe work in loft between. Long-term we are likely to change to a sealed system, but I don’t trust the current pipes to cope with a higher pressure without some leaks somewhere and too much of the pipe work is boxed in to make it easy to find and fix any leaks the higher pressure reveals.

Firstly next time you have a system drained down, I think it is worth fitting a filter on the return before the boiler to capture any partials in the water, they don’t cost that much and help to product the boiler. A Filter aid chemical (Sentinel X900) make help getting any sledge into the water so the filter can remove it.

I have just fitted a Spirovent Air separator to our system just after the boiler feed. Hot water can hold less air then colder water, the Spirovent Air separator removes a lot of micro-bubbles of air from the hot water, as the water cools in radiators etc it adsorbs a bit of air. If it works as claimed, after a few weeks the system will be fee of all air pockets and remain so. (Standard bleeding still needed when refilling the system)
3. Jewson are hiring power flushing units for about £50 (in the drain cleaning section of the hire website for some reason!), I am planning on using one in a few weeks after the X400 that I am putting in today has had time to work.

Dear All,

This is still giving me issues sadly.

So far I have discovered the following:-

If I run the central heating with the boiler stat off ie - pump running but only pumping around cold water, I get no gurgling nosies at all.

If I turn the stat on and the boiler starts to heat then the annoying gurgling nosies return.

They seem to originate at the boiler and bubble up towards the bathroom radiator immediately above it. They come and go.

If I shut off the bathroom radiator TRV the noises move to another radiator.

I discovered if I remove all TRV heads from all radiators there is no gurgling noises in any radiator. This would indicate that as the system heats up and certain TRVs shut that somehow air is being sucked in and pumped around.

My pump speed is set on the lowest setting. Could the TRV's shutting own effectively increase the pressure in the system and therefore the vacuum at the other side of the pump and suck air in?

If this is the case how can I slow my pump down more? A resistor or something?

Many thanks,

Dean

No, you have sludge in your pipework.

Thats the only place I can find that is magnetic. I have flushed out the system lots until it ran clear.

Are you saying the sludge could be causing my air problem? If so I will drain and cut out offending pipe work to clear it out.

Thanks

Could dry pulling rads with water vax I find this often clear air out of systems for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CH. Air noises driving me mad. Vented system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back