Search the forum,

Discuss Central Heating System Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am looking for some advice about the central heating system in a house I have recently purchased. I am not at all educated on hearing systems or plumbing so please be gentle...

The house has a Combi-boiler in the kitchen, it has a hot water tank upstairs and a small water tank and a larger water tank in the loft.

My understanding was that with a Combi boiler there was no need for a hot water tank. The system in the house seems to use the hot water tank. I only noticed as there is some water hammer from some piles and looked around the system in the loft and the hot water tank seems to be connected to the Combi system.

Is this normal, can this cause problems? There hot water is low on pressure and there is water hammer so unsure if this is linked to the hot water tank.

Thanks for any help!
T

It Oscar a GlowWorm Ultimate 30BF, 40BF, 50BF and 60BF. Not sure which of those but that is what it says on the old leaflet with the boiler so it may not even be a Combi?

Not a combi

Will be an open vented heat only boiler

It Oscar a GlowWorm Ultimate 30BF, 40BF, 50BF and 60BF. Not sure which of those but that is what it says on the old leaflet with the boiler so it may not even be a Combi?
Which will be using the tanks in the loft.

Thanks for the quick reply.
So I take it the boiler is only for the radiator is and the hot water tank is for hot water only? There is a digital screen below the boiler which shows hot water and central heating... very confused

There is an electric switch within the airing cupboard which I have had off since I moved in but I have still had hot water, but at very low pressure? Anyone know what that switch is?

In relation to the reason I was in the loft, water hammer, some pipes are not secured up their, it is simply enough to secure the pipes?

The boiler does both. But it heats the water in the cylinder that is situated in your airing cupboard by 2 pipes connected to a coil inside the cylinder.

The switch in the airing cupboard is for the immersion heater. It is basically a backup.

Edited as not finished before I posted

There is an electric switch within the airing cupboard which I have had off since I moved in but I have still had hot water, but at very low pressure? Anyone know what that switch is?
Immersion heater to heat the hot water cylinder independant of the boiler.

Boiler heats the radiators also heats a coil inside the hot water cylinder

You can control this via the programer below the boiler

The switch will be for the immersion heater inside the cylinder (only for back up incase the boiler breaks)

Yes just pipe clips maybe the ball valve that fills the tank is old and needs replacing

Thank you so much for the replies! You have all be extremely helpful to a complete amateur! Genuinely a big thank you.

The pressure for the cold water is good but the pressure for the shower is not great. What is the best way to increase the pressure for the shower? I have Googled for hours but now I have an odd water/heating system I am unsure what is best?

Thank you so much for the replies! You have all be extremely helpful to a complete amateur! Genuinely a big thank you.

The pressure for the cold water is good but the pressure for the shower is not great. What is the best way to increase the pressure for the shower? I have Googled for hours but now I have an odd water/heating system I am unsure what is best?

Common system tbh

And two options (well three)

One rip the existing system out and install a combi boiler

Two install a shower pump

Three install an electric shower

A combi boiler is a good idea. But can be an expense not needed when just moving in. Also a combi depends on a number of factors I.e size of house/number of bathrooms/showers and how many radiators.

A stewart turner shower pump is a very good idea. Normally the most preferred method by customers. What space have you got in the airing cupboard? And how big is the big tank in the loft that feeds the cylinder in the airing cupboard?

The airing cupboard has a good bit of space. The loft has two water tanks, a smaller one and a much larger one though I’m not sure what litre.

The airing cupboard has a good bit of space. The loft has two water tanks, a smaller one and a much larger one though I’m not sure what litre.
From what I remember, On most pumps the big tank needs to be a minimum of 50 litres. But I could be wrong

50 gallons (220L)
My bad I meant gallons not litres. You wouldn’t get much shower time with 50 litres. Thanks for the correction Shaun, told you I was tired.:p:p:p Ps I know that some shower pumps are fitted on smaller tanks.

My bad I meant gallons not litres. You wouldn’t get much shower time with 50 litres. Thanks for the correction Shaun, told you I was tired.:p:p:p Ps I know that some shower pumps are fitted on smaller tanks.

:D kids running you ragged

And yes it's key that the mains can keep up if less don't want it running dry

In the airing cupboard there are already two things connected to pipes. One is a Siemens Actuator and the other is a Grundof Selector. I take it these are nothing to do with the shower and having a Stuart Turner pump won’t affect these things?

In the airing cupboard there are already two things connected to pipes. One is a Siemens Actuator and the other is a Grundof Selector. I take it these are nothing to do with the shower and having a Stuart Turner pump won’t affect these things?
Nope. Should be for the boiler.

Gents, you have been terrific! Absolute treasure to your profession! Thank you.

So I need to have the pipes secured to stop the awful banging and get a Stuart Turner pump fitted for the shower pressure.

Gents, thanks you so much!

Does not have to be Stuart turner mate. But they are the dogs b******s in my professional opinion.

More or.less echoing the others. You're system is still pretty common. The boiler heats water, depending on what the digital display below the boiler is asking for determines where that hot water goes. Central heating? It leaves boiler goes through your grundfos selector then through your Siemens actuator and then to your radiators. Hot water? Same process but goes to the cylinder in your airing cupboard. When you use hot water or flush a toilet the water comes from the big tank in your loft. If the hammer is then, clip pipes, if it still happens replace the ball valve inside that big tank. Of it happens when you run you cold tap in the kitchen though it is .pat likely a problem with you main stop tap (stopcock) ehich is 'normally' and old fashioned looking brass tap under the kitchen sink. As far as the shower pump goes, I have used salamander and they have always been good too. Often a cheaper option as that boiler may well not have a huge amount of time left before it needs to go to live on a special farm for old boilers!

If you've only just moved I I would suggest getting a gas safe engineer (lots of people still know us as corgi registered) and get your boiler serviced and ask them to have a look around your system to check it over and show you about.

Or could fit an unvented cylinder dependant upon pressures and flows.
That's a good shout as that would mean new boiler would hopefully be a fairly inexpensive replay cement when due and would give you great pressure on hot straight away. Just be sure the engineer is G3 qualifies and get them to have a glance over the system first as often older toilets and taps can't cope with the increase in pressure.

We would be happy to help you to identify which shower pump would be required for this job, we can also give you the contact details for plumbers in your area who can install the pump for you. Please give our technical team a call on 0191 516 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central Heating System Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock