Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating sucking air through vent pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jock Spanners

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening all,
I've just changed a Keston system boiler for a regular Worcestor with a pump. The customer had bought the boiler mistakenly thinking it was a like for like swap. I've added the pump and everything seemed fine but a week later he's complaining about air in the system and the F&E tank overflowing. I'd replaced the float valve and probably didn't bend the arm enough as there wasn't a lot of room for a 18 rad system. I've adjusted the arm further. I suspect the air is being sucked in through the vent. It's an S plan in a three storey house with the boiler and cylinder in a cupboard on the middle floor. The pump is on the flow pipe. The rads are all knackered and he didn't want a powerflush as he didn't think they would stand it. I agreed and tried to flush as much of the sludge out with detergent. I've turned the pump down. Has anyone any ideas what I can do? From distant memory I seem to think a 'wet vent' might be the answer but I can't remember how to do one. Any advice appreciated.

Jock.

You will have to close couple the feed / vent etc .
First pipe off the flow pipe , next vent , next pump . All within 150 mm .
Currently on the flow there's a 15mm stem pipe to an auto air vent above the boiler teed in before the pump. Are you suggesting teeing in the feed, then the vent before the pump and should I dispense with the stem pipe?

Currently on the flow there's a 15mm stem pipe to an auto air vent above the boiler teed in before the pump. Are you suggesting teeing in the feed, then the vent before the pump and should I dispense with the stem pipe?

I would yes , the close coupling system works . As said , feed first , immediately after vent , then pump , all on flow pipe , that wont suck any air in as its all under positive pressure . Ok a bit of work involved I will admit .

Like this?
Open-System-Header-Tank.gif

Reply to Central heating sucking air through vent pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I would say my overall knowledge is not great as I did most of the 4 years working on rinse and repeat estates of houses. I was also quite young and...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t look well piped , kinky in pipes in some places ,some of the rad don’t heat up too well , probably because of the badly piped system, the pipe is all...
Replies
Views
Dear professionals, could someone kindly advise on per below issue, please let me know if more pictures or details needed. I think my Auto Air Vent is now leaking. A little background on the boiler – installed a year ago in Feb, Valiant Heat only boiler Eco Tec plus 424, plus new pump. The leak...
Replies
Views
Is it possible to install a wood burning stove with an air to water heat pump? I was speaking to a few plumbers who have said this is not possible as the air to water system is a pressurized system and the stove needs to be in a vented system.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock