Search the forum,

Discuss Central Heating Quote in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ek5943

Hi Guys,

I need some advise for a quote I have recently been given as I suspect it may be too high but wanted to check with people who know what they're talking about.

I recently moved into a 1920's style house and decided to get a service done on my boiler due to everything seeming pretty old, I suspected I may need some work done. When the engineer arrived it didn't take him long to notice some black marks on the pipes coming off the boiler to realise it was leaking carbon monoxide and consequently, he shut it down so I am left with no central heating.

After inspecting my torpedo water cylinder he advised it's probably too small for a house like mine (4 bedroom with a downstairs extension) and I would be better off with a megaflo unvented cylinder which could sit in my garage rather than in the airing cupboard upstairs. I was informed that my water pressure was currently too low (apparently it's pretty bad) for such a system but they could do some work from the water source in the street to increase the flow which should satisfy the new system.

The quote for said upgrades is 6k + VAT which includes a power flush and all new TRVs but this seems crazy expensive too me. I don't actually mind paying this amount if it was justified and I'm getting my moneys worth (I want to future proof my house so 6k over 25 years is fine IMO) but I want to check I'm not being taken advantage off. I also got a quote just for a boiler replacement with the existing cylinder and that was 3.3k + VAT which also seems expensive.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tbh I think that's about right

New rads as well ??

New boiler
New unvented cylinder and move
Mag clean
New water main

Parts alone I think will be around 2.5-3.5k

What boiler has he quoted for ?

Not far off for london rates bud get him to break costs down if your worried good luck kop

Simple thing is to get another couple of quotes, cant give you any advise about price being that your in London (I'm Devon) but for what you are having done seems reasonable

I can only say, it's very reasonable for London E4. I work a lot in east London area and have seen different prices. But as mentioned you can collect some more quotes.

I tend to agree with most , it doesnt sound excessive to me, but agree area is a major factor.

Having recently had a new central heating. new electrics, full replaster etc I would simply say get at least 3 quotes for any major job.

You will probably find they all have different suggestions, different ideas on how to do things and wildly different ways of calculating rates.

I had quotes between 5500 and 8500 for my new boiler/rads install.

My full new electrics were quoted between 4000 and 6500.

I live in E4 , happy to pop bye to give you a quote
Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central Heating Quote in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock