Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating Questions and Tips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xr246

Hi Guys

First time posting in here, I've just moved into a new house and dont know how my central heating works.

I have a few questions

1. Which setting should my grunfos pump be set to?

2. What is the most energy efficient way to use the system I have?

3. The big yellow tank and sometimes radiators make a gurgling sounds. Is this air or something else?

4. Some radiators are cold on top and hot the top. What causes this?

5. Is the Thermostat panel a real thermostat? seems more or off to me?

Sorry for all the questions any answers would be greatly appreciated

Here are some pics so you experts can tell me what I need to do! There is a boiler in a separate cupboard. Not sure if this is only for hot water is heating as well

Thanks for the help?

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 32
Welcome along xr246, adding photo`s when asking about systems is always a good thing so you`re off to a good start.

Hi xr246,

Welcome along.

As above nice one with pictures that helps us all.
I would not like to change the 3 port valve that looks horrible and neither the immersion:/

However, the gurgling noises associated with central heating pipes, probably indicates that the radiators will need bleeding to release air trapped in the system. I'd would put the pump setting on 2/3. Have you tried bleeding the radiators ?

If you have a bleeding key you could try bleeding ( taking the air out of the radiator ) the radiator.

If gurgling sounds continue after you bleed the system, it indicates a bigger issue. Air could be being drawn into the system. When air is continuously drawn into a system, the bigger the chance of corrosion, therefore I would suggest that the problem is identified by a qualified plumber.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also bleed the hot water cylinder if possible - In your photo there is a thick pipe with the pump, and behind that another thick pipe, and behind that a thinner pipe - difficult to see fully - but if you can see if that is coming out of the yellow cylinder and the top of the pipe just ends, then try to get your radiator key on the top, and turn, just as you do with the radiators. It looks a bit tight to reach. You can think of it as a radiator in the water cylinder to heat the water.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating Questions and Tips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock