Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Central heating pressure loss in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Nik01029

Nik01029 New Member

Hi
    I have a ideal logic 30kw system boiler runnong central heating and underfloor heating and an invented tank.
    The boiler has always lost pressure to a degree but now it's worse than ever.
    I've fitted isolators downstairs so I can turn that off and it still loses pressure. With the UFH isolated it still loses pressure. I have checked 90% of the pipework and fittings upstairs and I can't see a leak. All rad valves etc. I have pressurised to 2 bar and turned boiler off no leaks.
    Left an aerosol lid under the prv pipe and it's bone dry.
    It was losing a small amount then recently 0.2 bar a day. Now about 0.5 a day. It seems to lose more pressure when the ufh is on but I think k that's just because it stays on for longer periods.
    Last week I put 2 bar in and isolated boiler,waited several hours for condensate to dry up then left an aerosol id under the condensate drain.
    It filled the lid to approx 30mm deep overnight.
    I feel it's the heat exchanger, and I'm looking at a new boiler because I have run out of ideas..
    Any help would be great!!!!

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR

I gather its out of warrenty, if so , you can just get the heat ex changed . It also might be worth talking to ideal to do a “fixed price repair”

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nik01029

Nik01029 New Member

It's well out of Warranty, I tried calling a couple of places and they're out of stock, I'm sure I read somewhere that's they're obsolete!!!

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Ideal heat exchanger nope they haven't stopped making them

Phone ideal up and ask them how much for a replacement I'm sure they have a fixed price repair

5. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Has it got extra an expansion vessel or just the 8l internal?

6. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Having same problem from one I installed in 09 just keeps losing pressure and no explanation of where its going, Ideal Tec tell me its main heat Ex , price of part + labour to replace don't think they cover this on fixed price repair, find out today what cost of part is, may be more cost effective to replace boiler

7. Nik01029

Nik01029 New Member

It only has the internal expansion tank, but the prv is bone dry..

8. Nik01029

Nik01029 New Member

I got a price for a vailant 30kw I might go for That but I'm half expecting it to still lose a bit of pressue when it's done!!!
    At least I'll know where to look!

9. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Why not get someone to check the heat exchanger before fitting a new boiler?
    Should be pretty obvious if it's gone

10. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Interesting pice of video on YouTube showing one leaking,

11. Nik01029

Nik01029 New Member

Forgive me if I'm missing something but I don't see what somebody else is going to check on the heat exchanger that I haven't already done?
    It seems worse at some times, last night only lost about .3 bar and today it's lost about 1 bar.
    Still no marks in the ceiling and I've 're checked some of the connections

12. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR

I dont advocate anybody who is not gas safe touching their boiler but you have done it correctly. I would have done exactly the same

13. Nik01029

Nik01029 New Member

If I do stumble across a leak, or a new boiler fixes It I'll definitely post what the problem was!!!

14. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

You haven't yet confirmed its the heat exchanger?
    By removing a couple of parts this can be confirmed

15. sammathias

sammathias GSR

I had a main hex leaking a few weeks ago...well i can only assume it was as it wasnt leaking when cold. Must of only.been leaking when hot. £310 hex and hours work and no call back or pressure drop as yet. Boiler was only.4 years old.