Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating not working after drain down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmm

Hi
I recently drained my central heating system to give it a flush out and replace a couple of radiators. I installed the new radiators, filled the system back up and add the inhibitor. The the problem i have now is when i switch the heating on it turns off after about 3 to 5 minutes. The pipe to the pump gets hot, the pump gets hot, but that is as far as the heat goes.
The system is run from an Ideal heat 18 (non combi) which has a hot water tank and 2 header tanks in the loft the large one for topping the hot water tank and the small one for the central heating system.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
You cannot as they are self venting. The manual for the pump looks like it is on the floor by the pump. Have a quick look at that.
Found this in the manual mate :)
(Venting of heating systems Fig. 12 Venting of heating systems The heating system can be vented via an air escape valve installed above the pump (1). In heating systems that often contain much air, Grundfos recommends the installation of pumps with pump housing with air separator, i.e. ALPHA2 L pumps, type ALPHA2 L XX-XX A. When the heating system has been filled with liquid, follow this procedure: 1. Open the air escape valve. 2. Set the pump to speed III. 3. Let the pump run for a short period, depending on system size and design. 4. When the system has been vented, i.e. when the possible noise has ceased, set the pump according to the recommendations. See 7. Setting the pump. Repeat the procedure, if necessary. TM05 1932 4512 ALPHA2 ALPHA2 L III II I POWERON 1 2 3 III I = 10 Min. Caution The pump must not run dry.)

Cheers everyone for the help :) Got it sorted.
You's were all spot on with the air in the system. I opened the lowest drain off valve and just let the system flush through for about 10 mins then closed the valve off, I then switched the pump back on and set it to 3 for about 5 mins to flush air through , i switched the pump back off and opened the air vents as shown in the photo above. Switched the pump back on and it all works a treat :)
Cheers once again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating not working after drain down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
Hi, I drained the the central heating, to remove a radiator. After refilling it, the heating now won’t work. It’s a combi . I’m getting this symbol
Replies
Views
During an install of new boiler ('old' boiler died after 11-12 years) the system was "drained" but I guess maybe 90% of water was left in the (rather large) underfloor pipe system. What is the best way to tell how much inhibitor should be added in this case? (also taking account that system was...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock