Search the forum,

Discuss central heating also heating water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

ptg1174

hi guys

a few weeks ago my hot water started getting really warm after some googling and speaking to a plumber came up with cylinder stat, i ordered and replaced but still the same, what i have noticed is that when my gas central heating is on it also heats the hot water i know this as I've not switched hot water on but still get loads of really hot water, I've also changed room stat thinking it was this there is 2 drayton zone valves that i have replaced within the last couple years,as my system is about 15 yrs old any help would be appreciated before i call in the professionals to see if its something i could replace myself

thanks

Get a electrician to check the controls you could try setting different times on your programmer for hot water and heating to prove the programmer is not the cause .

Sounds like you need to get a good heating engineer in to identify the problem or you could of wired the cylinder stat wrong

Last edited:
Get a electrician to check the controls you could try setting different times on your programmer for hot water and heating to prove the programmer is not the cause .

thanks for the reply the programme for hot water is not timed to come on i switched it off its only the heating thats on programme

thanks for reply the cylinder stat only had 3 connections i will probably have to get somone in

thanks for reply the cylinder stat only had 3 connections i will probably have to get somone in

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

As good a place as any to find a reliable person.

I'd suspect the hot water motorised valve, even if its only two years old. Take the head off the valve, and manually turn the valve off. Turn central heating on and see if pipes to cylinder coil get hot. If not, that's your problem.

I think you need a electrician mate something not right there , if you have 2 seperate zone valves you have a s plan you should have time and tempreture control for each via a twin channel programmer a room stat for the heating , and a cylinder stat for the hot water , unless its controlled on a single channel timer and you relying on the cylinder stat for water temp and time control for heating via the timer and no room stat outdated way of doing it is that what your saying post a picture that would help .

Last edited:
hi guys

a few weeks ago my hot water started getting really warm after some googling and speaking to a plumber came up with cylinder stat, i ordered and replaced but still the same, what i have noticed is that when my gas central heating is on it also heats the hot water i know this as I've not switched hot water on but still get loads of really hot water, I've also changed room stat thinking it was this there is 2 drayton zone valves that i have replaced within the last couple years,as my system is about 15 yrs old any help would be appreciated before i call in the professionals to see if its something i could replace myself

thanks

Hello Would not be going mad changing anything if its a 2 zone heating system 1 MIV is controlled by a room stat for heating only 2 MIV is controlled by Cylinder Stat all are controlled by a Dual Programmer One side for hot water one side for heating

hi guys

thanks

Hello would not go mad changing anything just check both stats are opening and closing the Zone valves but in order for all to work you need a Dual Programmer one side for Heating and the other Side for Hot water Go on your Phone and check Drayton they have a drawing on how system should be wired they even give you the colour code of the different wires and were they should go Just make sure you have a Permanent live to boiler this is for Pump Over Run and a 3 AMP Fuse in Spur Switch at Boiler The Only way to use a system like I think you have is to have two pipes going to Hot Press or linen Press this way you can have Hot water or Heating Only And I would not be at all surprised if short cuts have been taken Regards Dave 01 Heating Engineer with 40 years Experience

Seems to be a mix up with the wiring or a faulty programmer, valve for hot water is staying open when heating is on (or letting by) when you replaced the 2 port valves did you replace the complete valve or just the power head ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to central heating also heating water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My property is a 3-bed terraced with double glazing windows... It currently has no central heating, so I will get a new combi fitted shortly... However, I will be putting in the central heating. My question is, is it still necessary to have a lockshield on the hall rad? I assume that...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock