Search the forum,

Discuss Ccn1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willing2learn

Doing my just finished my CCN1. Doing my analysers, fires, cookers and boilers next. Hoping to be Gas Safe Registered by Xmas :)

Just felt like sharing that with you all!

Will also be doing a one day free worcester course that is being laid on by them in January :cool:

well done mate i aint long done my tickets been registered for just over a week now and all going well already had a boiler swap so get the rest done and fill your boots mate

Can you shed more light on your CCN1 please mate?

How easy or hard is it.....say for example if i o happen to fail it can i sit again next day in the money i have paid or will i have to pay again to resit it.

well done mate i aint long done my tickets been registered for just over a week now and all going well already had a boiler swap so get the rest done and fill your boots mate

Yep, that's the plan. Hopefully the work will start coming in. Ready for the cold spell!

Can you shed more light on your CCN1 please mate?

How easy or hard is it.....say for example if i o happen to fail it can i sit again next day in the money i have paid or will i have to pay again to resit it.

Hi, it's pretty straight forward, a lot of it is open book anyway. Where are you based? As I'd highly recommend the place I'm going to near Swindon in Wiltshire.

most centres will charge a small re-assessment fee, usually based on a half day at a time depending on how many areas you need to resit depends on how much.... dont think about it that way, study hard become confident with your books and you will do great.

People that have studied always shine through on assessment day

gb-gas

Hi, it's pretty straight forward, a lot of it is open book anyway. Where are you based? As I'd highly recommend the place I'm going to near Swindon in Wiltshire.

its ALL open book, although you will run out of time if you look in your book for every answer, re sitting it again, it is up to the centre to decide, you pay your money you get one chance at the assessment, however if you dont achieve the required standard they can allow you a second attempt, some do some dont, check before you book it

its ALL open book, although you will run out of time if you look in your book for every answer, re sitting it again, it is up to the centre to decide, you pay your money you get one chance at the assessment, however if you dont achieve the required standard they can allow you a second attempt, some do some dont, check before you book it

Well, I've finished my CCN1, one of the papers I did was actually closed book.

Well, I've finished my CCN1, one of the papers I did was actually closed book.

which acreditation centre did you use, (bpec, logic, NICEIC etc) and what paper was closed book, and how many questions were on it, i work in a bpec centre and for initial CCN1 you do 45 questions on legislation, 60 questions on safety and 47 on flues ALL open book and get 2 mins a question for your first and second attempts then oral verification on those you get wrong twice, (it would amaze you how many experts get a true/false question wrong twice!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
i done a logic course and one of mine was closed book i beleive it was 6 papers open book and one closed may have been 5 open book and 1 closed cant remember but defo had a closed book with about 20 questions they was on straight forward stuff about tightness tests purging and what not

IIRC basic gas safety was 15 questions or so and was closed book. It was basic stuff like how long for a tightness test and was straight forward enough.

i done a logic course and one of mine was closed book i beleive it was 6 papers open book and one closed may have been 5 open book and 1 closed cant remember but defo had a closed book with about 20 questions they was on straight forward stuff about tightness tests purging and what not

cheers, i'm registered with Logic as an assessor but havent done anything in that centre for a wee while, don't remember any closed book stuff, but then again i sometimes dont remember what i had for my dinner yesterday

IIRC basic gas safety was 15 questions or so and was closed book. It was basic stuff like how long for a tightness test and was straight forward enough.

this is a question on the bpec practical paperwork to show underpinning knowledge (oops shouldn't have said that!!!!!) its actually amazing how many get it wrong,

Do you still have to do work with a gas safe person to apply for ccn1?

Doing my just finished my CCN1. Doing my analysers, fires, cookers and boilers next. Hoping to be Gas Safe Registered by Xmas :)

Just felt like sharing that with you all!

Will also be doing a one day free worcester course that is being laid on by them in January :cool:

good luck fella,hope it go,s ok

cheers, i'm registered with Logic as an assessor but havent done anything in that centre for a wee while, don't remember any closed book stuff, but then again i sometimes dont remember what i had for my dinner yesterday

lol im the same on that front guess im lucky that wasn,t one of my questions lol

defo 20 questions closed book on very basic stuff such as tightness tests and purging etc dont know what accreditations it was ie logic bpec nicic .
my acs certificates say niceic though

Do you still have to do work with a gas safe person to apply for ccn1?

No you certainly do not. I did my CCN1 and appliances in the summer as did the rest of the lads in my college class who had been doing a gas nvq level 2 with me 2 days a week and I was the only one who worked in the industry. They just went on a 36 week course without having done a days work on gas in their lives. We built a portfolio and did assessments at college, they just had to find somewhere to do their on-site assessments for one day, they all went to my house and got it done at the same time, and it wasn't an assessment, just picture taking with cooker, fire and boiler. They are all eligable to be gas safe registered now having passed their ACS and Gas NVQ level 2. The course only cost around 800 quid plus the ACS, many got it funded too, most were unemployed previously.

No you certainly do not. I did my CCN1 and appliances in the summer as did the rest of the lads in my college class who had been doing a gas nvq level 2 with me 2 days a week and I was the only one who worked in the industry. They just went on a 36 week course without having done a days work on gas in their lives. We built a portfolio and did assessments at college, they just had to find somewhere to do their on-site assessments for one day, they all went to my house and got it done at the same time, and it wasn't an assessment, just picture taking with cooker, fire and boiler. They are all eligable to be gas safe registered now having passed their ACS and Gas NVQ level 2. The course only cost around 800 quid plus the ACS, many got it funded too, most were unemployed previously.

wow is this true? so you mean i slugged my guts out in the rain doing down pipes and gutters and on freezing building sites with 4 jumpers and 3 t shirts on as well as 4 pair of socks for 4 years to get my plumbing and in turn get what really matters the gas qualification wow if I knew this then

I do not know how they got away with that.
I thought at the bare minimum you had to have a portfolio made of around 30 jobs of some evidence of you getting on the job training on various appliances/systems. At least you would have some experience of gas work and systems.

If this is the standard they are setting now, these gas qualifications are becoming a joke.

yes I agree, I'm afraid it's true, I did a full plumbing apprenticeship level 2 6129 and 6089 but nowhere local did level 3 so ended up going on this gas course as was the easiest way to build the gas portfolio and pass the ACS. They boast a 94% pass rate in their ACS center on their website. I think they roll out around 150 people from this course straight onto the gas register, I'd say 5% have any previous experience.
I'm on the gas level 3 nvq now just one day a week whilst working on the industry with my dads business like I have done for nearly 7 years. I get phone calls every week from mates on my course who are out their gas safe registered touching gas appliances in the real world for the first time.

http://www.southport-college.ac.uk/Courses/detail.asp?leaflet=3371
click on gas accreditation for info on their ACS Center too. I don't want to slag them off, it's been great for me, their nvqs level 2 and 3 are very in-depth. I just don't agree on those getting on the gas safe register without previous experience like these guys do. Had to tell a gas safe registered mate what jointing paste was before...

Last edited by a moderator:
on mine you had to have in centre assesments very strict then go out on site with gsr person for minimum of 250 days doing 60 jobs or more, no less than 60 ,boiler installs count as 2 and everything has to be right tightness tests ,gas rate ,burner pressure no cutting corners cos they like you then you have assesments all by the book i met a lad in city plumbing who was passed on fires but new nothing about them spillage tests flue flow etc didnt no how to fit one all a bit scary when its peoples lives imagin him on a flueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ccn1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock