Search the forum,

Discuss cast iron waste dilema in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Surfjayce

ok so heres the layout, 3 storey building comprising of a shop (ground floor) and 2 storey maisonette above, the cast iron waste goes through the lot but is only for the maisonette. i need to install a basin on the 1st floor and a shower, basin and toilet on the second floor. 2 options as far as i can see, 1, buy a cutting tool and all that jazz to install boss's and straps (i dont like) this option, 2, take the cast iron pipe down to about havle a foot into the 1st floor toilet and re do in plastic (this is the option i like)

so thats the situation and heres my questions, how easy or hard are either option and if i go with option 2 how does the cast pipe dismantle from the roof vent? is it a simple slide off slide on jobby or am i going to have to replace the vent also? (i dont really fancy getting on the roof to be honest)

You could cut out sections and fit timesaver fittings with the extra branches required. Its cast iron with clamps to hold it together, some info here...[DLMURL="http://www.saint-gobain-pam.co.uk/technical/index.cfm?page=Timesaver-444"]Timesaver : Saint-Gobain PAM UK[/DLMURL].

You can join to the existing pipe but you must support the pipe before you cut out section.

Eco

Last edited by a moderator:
the pipe is set awkwardly away from the wall and is practically freestanding as it is, hence my desire to replace it and not chop and try to support it, im just worried about the vent connection to be honest

If this was my job, I'd be phoning my friendly builder to assist.

I'm fine with heights to first floor but he'd have to shin up the ladder for anything higher! Also, it sounds as if the job will be much safer with some scaffolding (which you can hire). Again, if I had my builder he'd be insisting on this.

ok well seeing as i have no builder friends and i AM NOT goin on the roof lol i may go the way of puddle lol BUT ....and its a big BUT, im searching for strap on boss's and all i can find are ones to connect 32 and 40mm waste which is fine for the sinks and shower but what about the toilet?? :-S am i looking for the wrong thing here? and do plastic strap on boss's work on cast iron pipes?

sorry,for a wc you are going to have to cut a section out and fit a tee piece with probably time saver connections,as said you are going to make sure stack is supported correctly

How about getting someone in to do this bit of the works and you can go from there maybe

imho

So how much, money wise, would i be looking at for a guy to come and put a T section in and support the pipe? rough guess's

How much would you charge? Chances are it'll be the same price, give or take a few guineas.

So how much, money wise, would i be looking at for a guy to come and put a T section in and support the pipe? rough guess's

Thats a hard question Surfjayce, without seeing the job or knowing your location but a rough estitimate would be less than £500

Eco

less than £500 means im guessing between 3 & 500 which is like 3 to 5 times teh cost of me replacing the entire stack from the 1st floor up, time to get my nerves up and brave the roof i guess, thanx for the replies and suggestions guys its all appreciated greatly, im just gonna have to brave this one out lol

How much would you charge? Chances are it'll be the same price, give or take a few guineas.

given that im a DIYer id not charge what a pro would lol hence my question :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL - oops! I thought you were a newish plumber but someone who didn't like heights (like me in both respects).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cast iron waste dilema in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock