Search the forum,

Discuss Cast Iron Rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Conrad

Hi all,

Just joined the site and am looking for some advice.

I've just bought a new house that needs completely gutting, built circa 1890, and want to fit cast iron rads. I've just agreed in principle to buy 10 from an architectural reclamation yard. Can anyone tell me how heat-efficient they are? I'm also fitting a new Worcester Greenstar 42 CDI condensing combi-boiler.

Hi again, thanks for the info, much appreciated. The rads I have bought are from an Architectural Reclamation yard, and he had more than 30 of the type I'm buying, so no real issue if I need morem althought it seems like the 10 will be okay.

I am a bit concerned though by what a heating engineer friend of a friend said earlier this week. He is suggesting that because of the size & No. of the ols rads I will need a seperate expansion vessel, in addition to the Worcester Combi? Does this sound right? The house will also have 1 GF & 1FF bathroom.

i am not a heating engineer so i'm not sure about the expansion tank but i have changed radiators in some large houses with 18 radiators and they only had a large floor standing combi,

Cheers. It's difficult to know what to do with conflicting advice, and I'm out of the country for a while so I can't just pin down an engineer and get things sorted. I'll keep canvassing opinion or wait and see if anyone else has any comments/suggestions

i fitted cast iron radiators to my house recently, had trouble finding traditionl thermostatic valves to suit i end up fitting these
radiator valves. hope this is useful....

Hi again, thanks for the info, much appreciated. The rads I have bought are from an Architectural Reclamation yard, and he had more than 30 of the type I'm buying, so no real issue if I need morem althought it seems like the 10 will be okay.

I am a bit concerned though by what a heating engineer friend of a friend said earlier this week. He is suggesting that because of the size & No. of the ols rads I will need a seperate expansion vessel, in addition to the Worcester Combi? Does this sound right? The house will also have 1 GF & 1FF bathroom.

Yes this sounds correct Re: Expansion Vessel. Its to do with the amount of pipe work runs you will have, to reduce the amount of potential noise rattling through your pipes. :)

Hi all,

Just joined the site and am looking for some advice.

I've just bought a new house that needs completely gutting, built circa 1890, and want to fit cast iron rads. I've just agreed in principle to buy 10 from an architectural reclamation yard. Can anyone tell me how heat-efficient they are? I'm also fitting a new Worcester Greenstar 42 CDI condensing combi-boiler.
With the boiler, you will need to check that it is SEDBUK A rating, as this will conform to building regs.

With the rads, cast iron is very radiant with heat and will also need a lot of water to fill them up. So energy efficiency is not the best with these :)

Last edited by a moderator:
1) To comply with reg's boiler can be SEDBUK Aor B Band.

2)An extra expansion vessel may be required to accommodate expansion of increased volume of heating system water as a result of older cast rads having larger capacities per foot than modern low content rads. Also may require larger F/R pipework to carry
output requirement. EV WILL NOT aid noise supression on pipework, adequate clipping and insulation WILL.:D:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cast Iron Rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock