Search the forum,

Discuss Carport blunder. Flue advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am embarrassed to admit to making a very silly DIY mistake. My sister had a carport with one gated end and a fenced side. After a burglary, I had the bright idea of fully enclosing it for her. What I failed to notice was that it was located over her gas boiler flue. Apart from knocking the new ends off the carport (which is what I will do immediately) can the flue be redirected above the roof of the carport? I have seen plume management kits that would do this, but hers is not a condensing boiler. Do similar things exist for older non-condensing boilers? I know the flue must fitted by a qualified gas engineer, I just want an idea of how much is this likely to cost. This will determine whether I simply demolish the ends or remove them carefully with the intention of putting them back up once the flu has been redirected.

Thanks for any advice.
L

What is make and model of the boiler Lst21?

Whilst you are right it was a silly mistake, you get some points back for a) realising it, b)immediately removing the ends and c) having the sense to get a GSR engineer to fix it.

So apart from a red face, I reckon you are back to level again.

Welcome to the forum.

welcome to the forums. if you put a request in the looking for a plumber/gas engineer section [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]here[/DLMURL] there may be someone local to you.

Even if a plume management kit were available it would not be suitable as the boiler would still be drawing air from the enclosed space (flue would no longer be 'balanced'). Hopefully a visit from a local gsr engineer should come up with a soloution.

Even if a plume management kit were available it would not be suitable as the boiler would still be drawing air from the enclosed space (flue would no longer be 'balanced'). Hopefully a visit from a local gsr engineer should come up with a soloution.
agree +1

Hi Ray
Sorry for the slow reply, but my sister was staying with me this weekend and so I could not find out the info you asked for until today.
The boiler is a Ferroli optima 701 (9737L50464). The good news is that the siting limits in the installation instructions permit the opposite wall of the carport (but of course not the doors at either end). So with the doors kept open at both ends she is at least safe until I can get there to remove them (I live 150 miles from her). She does not have her heating on yet. For the time being the boiler only runs when hot water is demanded (hence how I managed to overlook the damn thing).

The boiler is quite old (~ 15 yr) so she is thinking the best solution will be to get a new boiler fitted in her attic (or in place of the old one in her airing cupboard) that is then exhausted above the roof-line instead of out into the carport (she lives in a bungalow).

If there is a very much cheaper short-term fix then she would rather not have to buy a new boiler just before christmas, but leaving the doors open is not an adequate solution for obvious reasons.
Thanks
L

The boiler is quite old (~ 15 yr) so she is thinking the best solution will be to get a new boiler fitted in her attic (or in place of the old one in her airing cupboard) that is then exhausted above the roof-line instead of out into the carport (she lives in a bungalow).

This is probably the best solution. If she has got 15 yrs out of an Optima, she hasn't done badly. Of course, it might go on for another 10 years, but it is probably overdue for some expensive and possibly hard-to-get parts.

If there is a very much cheaper short-term fix then she would rather not have to buy a new boiler just before christmas

If it had been a relatively new boiler, and if the flue parts were still available (they might be - I don't stock Ferrolli) and if the MIs permitted a complex run with lots of bends, and if the site dimensions were right, there might have been a way for your GSR engineer to make an economic job of it.

But there are too many "ifs" and "mights" in that sentence.

Due to the age of the boiler and parts availability, my initial thoughts are you have two options:
Remove the sides of the carport or replace the boiler.
As mentioned a qualified gas engineer will be able to advise better on seeing the installation.

Due to the age of the boiler and the fact its a Ferolli, it's probably a waste of money buying and fitting diverter kits. Consider a new, more efficient machine instead.

Thanks very much to all who replied with such sound advice. No choice in the matter, new boiler it is. Bu****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Carport blunder. Flue advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock