Search the forum,

Discuss Career Change in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I am a 25 year old retail manager looking for a change of career after 10 years in retail and want to train as a plumber. Has anyone done similar, or does anyone have any advice? I realise my age may be seen as a stumbling block with regards to the Gov't funding for apprenticeships, however, I see myself as being more mature than a school leaver, with an excellent work ethic. I have passed management training and have been a manager of fresh food for the past 3 years, so I have a good understanding of health and safety guidelines, log-books, and also delivering health and safety training to others. I am used to early starts, late finishes, and long days as this is the done thing when working for a 24/7 retailer.

Thanks for taking time to read.

Search function at the top right hand side.
when you've read all the similer post to yours, come back in 2020 :)

you're lifestyle will have to change, expect to work for free to get your foot in the door and then be on poor wages.

its doable but you've got to make sacrifices.

i might add with the early starts and late finishes.
plumbing, heating and gas ect ect
depending on what areas you do isn't only physicly hard work, it can be quite mentally challanging too.

As for the managment training ect ect, will mean very little, expect to be at the bottom for a fair few years :)

good luck :)
^^ optimistic post!

The problem is getting the experience..on the job experience. There's less and less small companies around these day, it seems to be sole traders or large maintenance firms/contractors. The big firms want experienced ppl and the one-man bands are reluctant to train ppl of your age, they worry that in 12months time, you'll be competing against them. The government are harping on about the need to increase apprenticeships for trade and engineering....BUT ARE THE JOBS THERE ?? i'd say NO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Career Change in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a career change, currently working as a Mechanical Design engineer and have done so for the past 10 years, I'm now 27 years old and looking for a trainee/plumbers mate role while I obtain the required qualifications. I have designed and fully fitted out a bathroom and two...
Replies
Views
Please can anyone help or point me in the right direcrion. I have recently completed a 18 month bpec management learning programme (apprenticeship) I am now qualified in CCN1, CENWAT, MET1, Unvented, CONGLP1PD. I need to get my CONGLP1-LAV as that is the work I am hoping to predominately do...
Replies
Views
We have a pumped shower with a thermostatically controlled mixer valve. My wife complains that when she is having a long shower (hair wash etc) the shower runs at the right temperature for much of the time but suddenly changes to run cold, usually during the hair rinse time, for no apparent...
Replies
Views
P
Hi All, I have recently changed heating source to a heat pump and so I have had a new water cylinder installed (different internal element required). This means that I have a 2.5 year old StainlessLITE Plus Horizontal unvented mains pressure 204L cylinder left over. We had it installed in Jan...
Replies
Views
Peter M
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock