Search the forum,

Discuss Career advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, the help and advice I got last time on this forum was invaluable so I`m here again to try and get some more of it! I have started my L2 6035 course at the start of the month with 2 nights of theory and 1 night of practical per week and im happy to say I am loving it but now i want more... I want to try and work in the trade as well, I have a plan and i just want to know if I`m making the right move or wasting my time. I passed my CITB health and safety and applied for a provisional CSCS card which arrived yesterday so the plan is to get "on site" as a general labourer and try and worm my self in with the plumbers. But even still i thought some site experience would do me some good. So the question is... Is this worth doing or is there a better tried and tested way.

I live in Wolverhampton and I'm 26. I started out as a mechanic and I've done some foreigners on the side including some plumbing work. I'm quite impatient as I'm kicking myself for not taking this path years ago, I want to make up for some lost time and commit myself to the trade, I know I will have to start at the bottom so the sooner I can get hands on the sooner I can start moving up the food chain.

Thanks guys

Trying to get on with a plumber would be a better strategy in terms of the speed of your progression.

Search the forum there are lots of ideas on how to sell yourself to a plumber. Popular ones seem to be flyers in the merchants/ loiter outside offer free labour for a trial period etc

I would exhaust these options first before labouring.

Yes it certainly would be a better option and I would work for free just for experience if I could but I need to be earning, I've got bills to pay! A house, a car, a baby on the way. I know it would be near impossible to get a plumber taking me on even on minimum wage. The only thing I can think of is to hold another job until I pass my diploma and then try my luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Career advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock