Search the forum,

Discuss Career Advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TommyTheTank

Hello all,

I am basically trying to find out some more information about the upside and downside of becoming a corgi registered gas fitter at this stage. Can you really operate solely as a gas fitter without extensive plumbing knowledge etc etc etc pretty much anything would be helpful. I have been a bit vague but can get more specific to replies. Thanks...

Hi Tommy

I work in the gas/plumbing training environment, you will need to have an engineering/plumbing background or have worked in the gas field before to gain access to the ACS courses,

You will also have to show work experience on gas appliances around 180 hrs witnessed and signed by a qualified gas engineer.

Hope this helps

Regards

Brian

Cheers for the reply brian.... this is the course i am considering going for and therefore the route towards corgi registration.

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ableskills.co.uk%2Fpre_apl_training.htm"]Gas APL Courses | Gas Training[/DLMURL]

At this point i know nothing about plumbing/engineering.... I cant believe that gas course for beginners outlined above will be enough to bridge the gap.. can you be a gas fitter with such limited plumbing knowledge?

Also could you perhaps outline some of the plusses and negatives of your job as you see them. Are you self employed?

Also I know its a question that you must get sick of but you get such conflicting information. Any idea about the potential earnings in London. I've been told that you can expect to earn 60pounds an hour with obviously computes to quite a high salary but is this pie in the sky?

I know if you were to serve your 'apprenticeship' at a company like British gas you're looking at around 27k per annum but does this rise drastically with experience?

Im really not clued up on this so trying to find out as much as possible. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I also train Gas/ Plumbing alongside Brian and agree with his post. You do need to build up a Portfolio for all Gas Work to be eligble to sit Initial ACS. This can only be done working as an Apprentice or Adult trainee and the evidence of Gas Work in premises and College is paramount to you being eligble to sit ACS.
I worked for British Gas and traineed apprentices and adults. It will take you around 3 years after certification to be on a Technical Engineer salary as you need to go back and re-train for you NVQ Level 3. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Career Advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock