Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Career advice please (move if necessary) in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. John Downes

John Downes Member

Hello everyone.

I'm hoping to become a commercial gas engineer. I'm time served and have yet to do my Gas Safe. I have to save money myself in order to do the course.

I want to do commercial gas and maybe in the future open my own business with the ability to carry out work on commercial properties.

The thing is I'm kind of stumped on where to start. Do I go through my core gas and then on to my commercial or do I work for a commercial company first then do my gas?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Do you have your domestic gas

And how long you been in the domestic game ?

3. John Downes

John Downes Member

No I don't thanks to my local college. They changed to renewables as I came up to level 3. I was tamping.

I've been in the domestic game about 6 years...

4. ShaunCorbs

The best way is to get a job as a commercial plumbers mate and work up from there not quick your looking at prob around 10 years but you will know your salt

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Downes

John Downes Member

That’s the main thing, I don’t want to do my commercial gas and wing it. I want to know my onions...

How do I get in with a commercial firm though having been bread in domestic?

6. ShaunCorbs

By getting a job as a commercial mate / helper

7. quality

quality Plumber GSR

Ive not got commercial gas (only domestic) but I do industrial refrigeration which is, just like commercial gas a specialized sector and not something can be gained without 10 + years experience