Search the forum,

Discuss Can't unscrew cold water tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if someone can help. Got a dripping cold tap and have removed the actually tap but need to take out the brass coloured unit behind it. usually Im told this is a hexagonal bolt, but mine is oddly shaped and because of the casing I cant get at it with a box spanner or pliers. Will try and attach photo in a another message. any help gratefully received.
thanks Bruce

IMG_6436.JPG

If the tap is expensive, things I'd try would be: (a) ask manufacturers if they can supply/advise on the correct tool, (b) see if Snapon has something appropriate, (c) get my mate who has a small mechanical workshop to make me something.

One of these:

WEATHERHEAD® Fittings

might just work. I think that they're used for hydraulic systems.

Sometimes you can get lucky with a socket out of a socket set. Just be careful not to round the cartridge off. But failing that as above speak to the manufacturer.

1. If you're prepared to risk wrecking it, big pair of grips on the splined head and turn anticlockwise. Fair risk it will break the cartridge without removing it.
2. If you're going to replace the cartridge anyway, measure and note cartridge dimensions including splined part diameter and number of splines. Cut the spindle level with the edges of the housing. Use an adjustable spanner on edge over the flats, and turn with a second adjustable. You might even be able to do this without cutting the spindle.

Cannot thank you all enough for all this advice. Much to think on. Will report back. Thanks again

I had a similar problem, bought a set of box spanners from Screwfix. have you tried the hook that's on a basin spanner? or a bear hug spanner?

Last edited:
Personally, I'd try carefully warming it up before trying to remove as per SteadyOn's instructions.
Bet your bottom dollar it will be calcified to hell.
Looks like a Franke, is it? Looks like it's around 28 splines.

Afew years ago in the meeting room of the manufacturers of this tap:
Big boss with yacht to pay for: 'We have the design for these overly-priced taps, we're going to be making a 600% profit on production costs to retail price, but I'm not happy with that, how can we make more money?'
Snotty assistant who secretly wants to be a traffic warden: 'Well sir, we could make the valves impossible to get out without our over-priced tool, and while we're at it let's make the valves unique to us so the customer has to buy replacements from us, we could pop another 600% mark up on the valves'
Big boss with yacht to pay for: 'Well done Nigel, have a raise!'

OMG JC you must have been a fly on their wall. Having had talks with certain tap industry individuals, that description is soooo spot on its positively creepy.

Tap manuf have been ripping us off for over 40 years but all we've done is bend over for more.

Tis about to change is all I'm allowed to say because apparently I'm not allowed to 'promote' as helping people help others is wrong :rolleyes::mad:

One manufacturer of taps pays Mr Chinese just under 20p per cartridge but charges even trade up to £78 one. Someone tell me that's not morally bankrupt!

One manufacturer of taps pays Mr Chinese just under 20p per cartridge but charges even trade up to £78 one. Someone tell me that's not morally bankrupt!

What I object to is that such cartridges are made of cheese instead of brass.

Absolutely. Down to a price not up to a quality. Seen it for years :eek:
So much to say to reassure you that help is at hand but simply not allowed...
Made in England not bl00dy China may help :) Have a nose at my profile :cool:

I'm in a bit of a mood with a particular tap manufacturer lately after quoting £50 to replace a pair of ceramic disk valves and once opened I'm staring blankly at these little beauties:
valve.JPG
£42 for replacement valves from the manufacturer, then they want another £25 for the brass bushes, so nearly £70 because it's dripping a bit.
They're £250 taps (Carron Phoenix 'Maya') so customer wants to fix rather than replace.
There is no other word for it, it's robbery. I've sourced the valves elsewhere for £18 but can't get the new bushes anywhere other than the manufacturer and the old ones won't budge, just bought some vice grips to see if I can get them off with them when I go back.
I'll be strongly advising customers away from this manufacturer in future.

I'm in a bit of a mood with a particular tap manufacturer lately after quoting £50 to replace a pair of ceramic disk valves and once opened I'm staring blankly at these little beauties:
View attachment 29749
£42 for replacement valves from the manufacturer, then they want another £25 for the brass bushes, so nearly £70 because it's dripping a bit.
They're £250 taps (Carron Phoenix 'Maya') so customer wants to fix rather than replace.
There is no other word for it, it's robbery. I've sourced the valves elsewhere for £18 but can't get the new bushes anywhere other than the manufacturer and the old ones won't budge, just bought some vice grips to see if I can get them off with them when I go back.

this what your looking for?

3886R Brass Bush with Lip | Two Lever Kitchen Tap | Uk Sinks and Taps

I fit all sorts of expensive garbage but if anyone asks me to buy them a tap like a kitchen mixer I just get a £35 Swirl Screwfix special and its just as good quality as say Bristan and it excepts standard valve replacements.

I fit all sorts of expensive garbage but if anyone asks me to buy them a tap like a kitchen mixer I just get a £35 Swirl Screwfix special and its just as good quality as say Bristan and it excepts standard valve replacements.
Agreed.
Don't you just love it when you get called out to fix some dripping taps and they're cheap ones. You know they're either going to need a new 3/8 washer or the most common £5 ceramic valves that everybody stocks.
:D

View attachment 29749

Well it took a while but I managed to get one of the shrouds off with vice grips and a blowtorch and somehow luck was shining on me today as it turned out to be the drippy one.
Happy days :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can't unscrew cold water tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock