Search the forum,

Discuss Can’t find filling loop on sealed system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 96859

Hi

Self confessed novice here!
Radiators at the top of our house are cold, the rest are fine. Only second winter with loft extension (where cold radiators are), last winter same thing happened but the builders were still here and they topped up system after we drained air from cold radiators.

PROBLEM: I’ve read up on topping up our closed system but cannot find a filling loop/hose anywhere. Help! Not draining the radiators until I’m sure I know how to refill. Can anyone help please?

Pics of above and below the boiler are attached.

BOILER/SYSTEM BACKGROUND
New boiler (not Combi) year before loft extension, installed by BG engineer in some way that no other engineer could fathom when they kept being called out because it wasn’t working, so they came back and changed it to a closed system. Could they not perhaps have installed a filling loop??? I feel like I remember the builders using a good ol’ garden hose, but maybe that’s wrong. Really hope so...

6850AE6D-EA17-4E3D-928B-BB4C9F2FF0F1.jpeg

60052724-B598-43D7-BFB0-D474FF23DE53.jpeg

Airing cupboard

Should be a silver braided hose with either one or two valves

But tbh it looks like you have enough pressure in the pic

Was the pic taken with the heating off ?

Hi

Thanks for speedy reply.
Yep ive been looking for the threaded hose, no joy. Wondering if there’s some alternative valve they’ve installed and neglected to mention!

Pressure is fine now as I assume top radiators are full of air. Not going to bleed them until I know where to refil, or pressure will drop and I’ll have no heating anywhere... I think?! Right?

Yep heating is off.
Forgot to mention we have a compression cylinder for hot water, not near to boiler. Only hoses on that are well and truly attached obviously! But just in-case it’s relevant.

Any chance of a pic also your looking for a red vessel

Yep, think you mean the vessel at the top?
Maybe I’m wrong and these are the right hoses...?

Thank you!

6EA12A85-38D8-46E6-A7F3-A91F9DFEB415.jpeg

Nope and that's one hell of a mess and needs sorting

But found your filling loop ;)

Do you see the braided flex that goes in front of the white vessel

Open the left valve first inline with the pipe should turn clockwise

Now open the right one slowly and shut it 5 seconds after

As there isn't a pressure gauge there your going to have to check the one above the boiler

Unless you have another person with you

Your looking for about 1.2 bar cold on the gauge

Then just make sure you closed both valves that you opened and your done

The heating Expansion vessel just on the right hand edge of the photo looks to be badly or unsupported.
Looks like the 15mm plastic couldn't hold it's weight.

Oh blimey... thanks so much folks.
Appreciate your advice. Not sure I’ll attempt it if it looks all a bit precarious. Don’t fancy no hot water with a toddler in the house.
Think we’d better get someone in regardless then. Grrr!

All the best

gently push upwards ( with fingers ) the vessel , if it feels heavy , please get somebody to look at it asap .

The vessel looks to be supported (albeit quite shodily) via a bracket and band attached to the wall baton so you should be okay when pressurising the system. Is it just a trick of the flashlight or is that longer braided hose quite badly twisted? Yes do eventually get someone in to tidy it up.

Just s trick of the light actually, it’s not twisted. Thankfully!
I thought you weren’t supposed to have the filing hose connected all the time. (Worcester boiler advice online). Is that right?

And thanks for the advice on checking the support for the vessel before doing anything, will do.

I thought you weren’t supposed to have the filing hose connected all the time. (Worcester boiler advice online). Is that right?

Correct, it shouldn't be connected permanently to prevent over pressurisation either accidentally or due to component failure. It's not too serious an oversight so just disconnect one end when you're more sure of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can’t find filling loop on sealed system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in the safe zone . When I switch boiler off the next day it’s back in the red It could be one of the valves leaking . Can I take the loop off , which...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
R
Hi, We‘be recently moved into a property with a very old Potterton statesman. My husband bled the radiators last night…and since then he’s called all sorts of problems! There is now only one tiny radiator with heat in it. There is no pressure gauge on the boiler , I can’t find a full loop on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
I’m doing a bathroom refit, and there’s some strange pipework design that I’d like some advice on, please. I want to remove the cold water pipe running through the loft space because I would rather avoid having a cold water pipe buried under the loft roll insulation. Instead, I’d like to reuse...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock