Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

2. WARNING! We do NOT provide advice related to Gas or other fuels to people who are not currently an official registered Heating Engineer. Do NOT ask for advice related to boiler repairs or installs. You need to find a heating engineer instead.

Either seeking or providing advice on UKPlumbersForums.co.uk may result in your account being suspended or removed. These rules are in place to prevent deaths, which can easily occur from messing with heating systems when you're not qualified to do so.

Discuss Can you sign off an installation done by a non-GSR plumber? in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Masood

Masood Guest

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. thompsonbrown

thompsonbrown Plumber GSR

I know a hell of a lot of guys who do do it. Might be worth showing them this. Good post.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bassmonster

bassmonster Plumber GSR

I've been asked many times to commission Boilers, I always decline.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

I have to say I get probably two or three a week on at least three occasions the same guy has phoned me not realising he had contacted me already. Problem is some idiot will do it I just can't see why it's worth taking the risk If I make a mistake I've only got myself to blame

• Like Like x 2
  5. newcastle phill

newcastle phill Guest

I think the pertinent point is knowingly.
    There is a very carefully crafted technical bullitin on this where in certain circumstances (no previous collusion with unregistered installer) it is acceptable and even encouraged to do so.

Their reasoning is they would rather know it was safe than left so..

• Like Like x 1
  6. stevetheplumber

stevetheplumber Plumber GSR

if there hadnt been a defect on the work i wonder if it would have gone to court im still of the opinion that we all sign of someone elses work every time we do a landlords cert anyone here remove the boiler to check the fixings during a landlords cert? no unless it s your own work then you are declaring it safe when infact you dont know
    new build site work is never started and completed by the same people sometimes not even by the same company

• Like Like x 3
  7. stevetheplumber

stevetheplumber Plumber GSR

thinking about this there should be a category for commisioning systems with a fitted by persons unknown box to tick then gas safe should become involved in the task of tracing them its in the interests of gas safety that rouge installs are inspected

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bassmonster

bassmonster Plumber GSR

A good idea, yet, at the same time I can it will encourage more illegal installs

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. newcastle phill

newcastle phill Guest

Disagree. Simply a box to inform gas safe to possibly follow up and investigate with customer

10. Masood

Masood Guest

I see where you're coming from but the requirements for commissioning and compliance certificate are much more in-depth than a landlord cert. Obviously it wouldn't be practical to do a full recommission every year, but we take on trust that the commisioning engineer did it right, so we are doing mare "maintenance" checks.

11. mooey

mooey Member

Can t see the problem with it as long as its checked over properly whats the difference between that and doing a service.when you service a boiler you dont know if its been installed correctly until you look at it yourself.

12. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

it's a definite no no. When you service you don't scrutinise every single part of the installation for example is the gas pipe installed to standard where it disappears into the floor. I would assume there is nobody here that will go pulling up floorboards just to check the gas pipe run for example? Why not? Because you have to make a certain degree of assumption that the person who installed it knew what they were doing. If you are signing off someone else's work then you have no confirmation that everything has been installed to standard unless you demolish it and start again in which case what's the point

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  13. spanner

spanner Plumber GSR

As above 102%. As Riley says. And guess if anything were to go wrong with a new installation Doing that it just means trouble. For me. I always make sure I'm on track. As to communicating I might have missed out on something myself, but at least i know I'll have piece of mind to have the task properly answered. As to being gas safe registered. It's not the "end of"! To me it's always a new beginning and keeping updated on a basis.
    As to servicing, had a few bad starts here and only made me think again I'm learning here.
    But a deffo no when or if it comes to that. I'd rather not be considered.
    At the least is having to check and doing a let by tightness test with tiny untraceable leakage.
    OR working with ALL appliances and not having enough due for undersized pipework.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  14. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

I knew someone would come straight back with an argument like that. Showing once again that the public are not informed by the body ie Gas Safe

15. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

You can`t see the problem and I can`t see your gsr badge! Neither can I see the point in coming back to something from 2015 unless it concerns you directly.

• Like Like x 3