Search the forum,

Discuss Can you descale a shower pump, to "save" it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

(Homeowner, first post – apologies in advance if I'm doing this wrong) –

Is it possible to descale shower pumps?

We live in a seriously hard water area. (We have to descale our shower head every 3-6 months, by leaving it overnight in a jug of white vinegar.)

Our shower pumps last about five years, before they start making terrible noises, and then die. We are on our third one, and five years in, it is making the noises.

I have read elsewhere that they may just be getting furred up from hard water deposits.

We do have taps on both the hot and cold input pipes to the shower pump (as well as the output pipes). Is there any reason why we cannot at least *try* descaling, like this -
- close both input taps
- run the shower briefly to (hopefully?) empty the pump
- unscrew the (output) pipes at the top of the pump, fill it full of vinegar overnight, then just screw them back in, open all the taps, and run the shower?

Is there any reason not to give that a try? (Would the pump even empty the water in the first place, with input taps closed?!)

If we end up needing a new pump I expect we'll try a "limebeater" as well, but it would all seem a bit of a waste of money if it were just a hard water problem. (Yet I can't seem to find anywhere reports of people trying to descale... so maybe it's all a red herring?)

Many TIA for any opinions/suggestions –

Nick

[Gear, by the way, is NewTeam Varispeed 50 pump, Mira Gem88 mixer]

As you put it "try" this way. Remove the pump and empty the water into a bucket. Reconnect the end inlet pipes, fill with vinegar right to the top of the outlets and reconnect these pipes. next day or longer, open inlet valves first wait 2 minutes then open the outlet valves. This way the chamber is flooded and less chance of air locking.

Tbh I don`t think vinegar with help much after 5yrs but it is worth a go, limescale creates other problems such as damage to bearings and bushes which when damaged become noisy.

Citric acid (Wilkinsons or online, comes as a powder) might work better than vinegar? They use it for kettles.

And warm water/vinegar may speed things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can you descale a shower pump, to "save" it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hey, here goes and I hope it works.. never used one of these before! I have a Sagittarius Ergo mixer shower min bar of pressure required 1 bar. Connect to this is a 1.5 bar Ora Salamander pump for a positive head, this was connected by a plumber of course and we’ve had it all rigged up...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
I have a problem with noise and vibrations from my shower when i first turn it on. The problem lasts for about 30 seconds after the shower is switched on before it stops. There is a sink nearby, sometimes if we switch that on slowly before turning on the shower then the shower doesn't make a...
Replies
Views
Hi I've seen a previous thread that is closed now regarding this subject but the end result I could not see. Our Shower runs hot for 30 seconds then cold. I have changed the thermostat and it still runs cold after 30 seconds. If we run the hot tap it is better but at best, luke warm. We have a...
Replies
Views
Hi, am getting our bathroom updated and local company suggested ditching our traditional attic CW tank/vented cylinder and pump for the shower and install an unvented pressurised HW cylinder instead. We have been told that this will not lead to a drop in effective pressure from the shower. Is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock