Search the forum,

Discuss Can we hide the grout line? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,

I'd like to get some advice on the following issue. We have relatively large tiles (see image 1), and the idea was that the vertical grout line on the would be covered by the (mount of the) bath screen. The 2nd fix has just happened, and the screen was fixed slightly off the line. I haven't spoken with the installers yet, and don't want to make a fuss either...

Do you have any thoughts what we could do? Maybe the screen could be moved a little to the right, depending on how the tiles have been drilled? Or, maybe a small 'box' or 'panel' could be fitted between the screen and the wall, slightly wider than the screen, that would then cover the grout line, without needing to move the screen left/right. The gap between the grout line and the edge of the screen is about 1.5cm, so e.g, a protrusion of about 2cm (from the screen towards the edge of the bath) would cover it. Of course, it needs to look 'natural'.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• img_0002.jpg
    img_0002.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 28
  • img_0003.jpg
    img_0003.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 28
  • img_0001.jpg
    img_0001.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 29
Nothing sensible you can do now, the tiling was put in the wrong place if the intention was to cover the grout line. The screen needs to line up with the inside edge of the bath.

However in the grand scheme of things this does seem like quite a small problem.

Re the tiles, I doubt there would be enough movement available in the screen to cover the grout line and if there was the line would be still visible above the screen.

As Fowlerboi, unless the bath is the same shape both ends maybe with wall mounted taps, then the shower would appear to be at the wrong end, or the bath is the wrong way around.
And it may just be the angle of the photo, but it looks like the large shower head is going to splash over the screen,, Shower head too high or screen to low.

Scrap that idea. Not sure what's worse, the grout line or a shower screen bracket made to look wider to cover it. You just won't notice it after a while.

Re the tiles, I doubt there would be enough movement available in the screen to cover the grout line and if there was the line would be still visible above the screen.

As Fowlerboi, unless the bath is the same shape both ends maybe with wall mounted taps, then the shower would appear to be at the wrong end, or the bath is the wrong way around.
And it may just be the angle of the photo, but it looks like the large shower head is going to splash over the screen,, Shower head too high or screen to low.
The bath is symmetric, with wall-mounted taps. It's not a shower-bath as such; I selected it because it's fairly deep (as far as baths go) and 180 cm long (thus more or less filling that wall). I had thought at the time that it might be a bit of a risk in terms of using a symmetric bath as a shower, but we'll find out. The controls are mounted centrally above the bath, so that it's possible to switch the shower on before getting in and running a bath easily. I appreciate that it's a bit unusual, but the bathroom is very small otherwise.

Now... the large rain shower head is indeed above the screen... we followed the advice of the bathroom installer on that too, but you are right, it may splash - I'll need to test that.

Last edited:

Reply to Can we hide the grout line? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock