Search the forum,

Discuss Can my c/heating oil floor boiler be adapted to heat the water in my house? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sam423

Can my c/heating oil floor boiler be adapted to heat the water in my house?
I have a 'SIME' oil floor boiler that heats the c/heating in my new house.

Can i add a hot water tank to the pipe work to heat the water around the house?

Will i need a header tank aswell?

There is only 1 inlet/outlet and the flue on this.​

Boiler pic.jpgHeres a picture of the boiler

I'd put that LPG tank outside. Just for safety's sake

The other Simon is the best on oil thou

How do you get hot water at the minute?

It should be a case of cutting into flow and return, couple of 2 port valves, cylinder stat, twin channel programmer. Depending on cold water pressure and flow you could have an unvented cylinder which wouldn't require a header tank.

Can you give me any more info from looking at that picture? thanks

Thanks.

I have a crappy 10l lpg water heater in the kitchen but it will be no good for the new bathrooms etc.And the gas bottles are expensive.

Would prefer to use a cylinder like you said,does that mean that the cylinder heats the water? or does the hot water come from the boiler?

Would i still need all the bits you mentioned above if i fitted an unvented cylinder?

Thanks.

Yes you still need the controls with the unvented cylinder but you don't need the header tank in the 'loft'.

If you post whereabouts in the country you are one of the members may be able to have a look and steer you in the right direction.

Its in Spain at my holiday home,might be a bit far for them haha.

Can you tell me if the tank i need will heat the water itself (is it electric) or will the hot water come from the boiler?

Thanks.

The cylinder will have a coil inside and the water from the boiler will pass through the coil and in turn heat the hot water for the bathroom/kitchen.

What part of spain?

Can you tell me if the tank i need will heat the water itself (is it electric) or will the hot water come from the boiler?
The hot water cylinder has a coil inside though which the water from the boiler passes and heats up the contents of the cylinder.

See HW Cylinders for example.

Presumably you can get similar cylinders in Spain.

A town called 'Pals' in the Costa Brava in North Spain.

So the boiler will be electric and will be expensive on bills,thats what i was trying to avoid.

I was hoping to use the boiler to heat the water somehow - probably a totally crazy idea.

where do you get that the boiler will be electric? unless you're on about the immersion heater. as already said the existing boiler will heat the water in the cylinder via the coil i.e. the boiler heats the water going through it which passes through the coil and then onto the radiators and back to the boiler. the immersion heater is only used when the boiler breaks down.
p.s. not a crazy idea at all.

... So the boiler will be electric ...

No! The boiler will heat water which passes through the coil in the cylinder which, in turn, heats the water you'll use. The two stages are necessary to avoid the hot water you use going directly through the boiler and mixing with the radiator water.

The only electricity involved will be for a pump to pump this "secondary" water (google it!) from the boiler to the cylinder.

Ok guys, thanks for your help, i am a total newbee to all this and will try and get my head round it.

Have a good xmas.

Adios.

Sorry, i am getting confused with the system in my old house where all i had was this -french tank downsized.jpg-this cost me a fortune in electricity.

Almost got my head around it now.

Will i need a single or double feed cylinder?

Seach for ESP ecocent on google, they have a spanish branch, I was unable to find it? you may have to ring them (Oxfordshire). The cheapest way to get hot water without paying out for solar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can my c/heating oil floor boiler be adapted to heat the water in my house? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hi Can somebody tell me if a standard heat source pump installation uses a pressurized hot water tank? Or will the pressure for the hot water be the same as with my oil boiler and water storage tank (gravity-fed)?
Replies
Views
Hi all great site, I've just moved house and am taking my wood stove boiler with me as it's only a couple of years old, it has 4 outlets on back, 2 for hot and 2 for cold, my new house has an open fire and has been used to heat both hot water and rads, but only has 2 outlets, can I T the 2 top...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock