Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Can I use PEX pipes to feed a default radiator? in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. David Mitchell

David Mitchell New Member

I'm pretty much a novice at DIY, fitting a Charnwood Country 8B woodburner with a back-boiler which puts a maximum of 7kW into the water, and the default radiator is 1.335kW.
    I'd like to use 28mm PEX pipes, as they're so much cheaper than copper; but I don't know whether it's safe to do that.
    Anyone got experience of using PEX as central heating pipes, and did you use them for the default radiator?

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

No. Nope. No way.

Don' forget to get it signed off

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PETE 123

PETE 123 Active Member

Hi im sure other replies will say the same dont bother if it all goes wrong or you make a mistake, its to much of a risk to personal or property.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

My bad.

Good spot Harvest.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  5. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

He has not commented? Or am I missing something?

• Like Like x 2
  6. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Pex can't be used with any solid fuel appliance

7. David Mitchell

That's all fairly unambiguous, thank you.

8. David Mitchell

Having taken your advice, I've bought copper and am about to fit it; but I have a couple of stupid questions. (Actually, more than a couple, it turns out).
    Firstly, PTFE tape. Is it worth it (a lot of people recommend it; but many say it makes no difference. Who is right)? Is it stable enough to be used on the piping for the default radiator? What about the fittings on the back of the stove? Intuitively it seems to me that no part of the stove directly connected to water should ever get above 100 degrees, so PTFE tape would be okay. Is that right?
    Secondly, one of the plumbers we had in to quote suggested that we could handle filling the system, and dealing with overflow due to expansion, by teeing off from the default radiator flow piping, into a small tank with a ball-cock inlet, and overflow pipe outlet.
    That seems entirely reasonable, but I've never seen anyone else suggest it.
    Am I missing something?