Search the forum,

Discuss Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really care. The hoover is her job. More chance of winning the lottery.

Just checked about doing your own gas work, 1998 regs, in a nutshell, if your doing it for no reward and are deemed competent, you can do what you like. great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually can't believe this is a serious thread

So there you are finished with the ratrace and retired your Gas safe registration lapsed and the boiler packs up.
Well.........................?

Wow guys, such a large response. Awesome. In all these replies i can find what i am looking for. I know it is a touchy subject for all.

I have been Plumbing for just over 3 years now and trained with a gas engineer. I have sat most of my acs exams apart from the practical part as i am still collecting evidence for fires. But i shall finish the practical hopefully this month if i get some free time.

But, to sign up for registration and to buy the FGA is a lot of money, which i will not be able to buy until next year.

I have just moved area to, so am not able to use my old boss's equipment.

Regards

Mutley
its not a touchy subject would you be allowed in court to represent someone without the relievent qualys NO you can represent yourself but you wont get anyware cos you wouldnt no what your talking about same with the gas how do you no how to do a tightness test and what it is and when to do it how do you no what parts youve got how do you no when you disconect something its not leaking the slightest amount that can become id over a few days plus a boiler is a gas fitting and you have to be compentant and be of a chosen orginisation which is gas safe at the moment dont think money comes into it except when you have to pay a big fine out go on the hse website and see all the people whove been done for not being gas safe who were corgi but its run out they would be classed as competetant but they still got done ad leave well alone mate and get some one in

So there you are finished with the ratrace and retired your Gas safe registration lapsed and the boiler packs up.
Well.........................?
Call in a Gas Safe Registered engineer.... stand over him and watch he's doing it right! ;0) Ask him loads of questions about what regs have changed since you were a lad ;0)

Right can't resist this!!no person can work on Gas unless competent to do so [ Rule 3 (1)] A competent person is someone who is a member of a recommended body by the H.S.E. [rule 3. (3)] namely Gas Safe, If you are not a member you cannot work on a Gas appliance.... game, set and match

Right can't resist this!!no person can work on Gas unless competent to do so [ Rule 3 (1)] A competent person is someone who is a member of a recommended body by the H.S.E. [rule 3. (3)] namely Gas Safe, If you are not a member you cannot work on a Gas appliance.... game, set and match

Can't believe it took 80 posts to come to this conclusion!!! But CAN he service his boiler if he's not GSR??!! LOL

absolutely correct in my last post, phone h&S or gas safe there in no question on this absolutely. If you think otherwise you need to do some revision and get specific answers to your thoughts. The original post was can I service my gas boiler If am not gas safe registered. The answer is no you cant. Nothing to do with competetance..read the regs

read em mate, im afraid i am right

where does it say in the regs "A competent person is someone who is a member of a recommended body by the H.S.E." ?
Here is an extract from the regs below

3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.(4) The requirements of paragraph (3) above shall not apply in respect of—
(a)​
the replacement of a hose or regulator on a portable or mobile space heater; or

(b)​
the replacement of a hose connecting a re-fillable cylinder to installation pipework.

i am right in saying that to work on gas for no gain you only have to be competent but to work for gain you must be registered.
However what you have added is an interpretation of competence, if so it adds another dimension that suggested competence means registered?? seems to contradict the previous statement, however if you prove me wrong ill gladly admit it, i would just like to see where it says what you have posted as i cannot find it

BTW I dont agree with the interpretation, but im happy to abide by it if its proven. You may ask why i dont agree with it, its becaus ei have a friend who worked at BG all his life, helped set up acops, heped set up ACS, was an inspector for year, he is now retired, if he wants to service his boiler, by your understanding he is not competent, i would disagree

I have to agree with you Fuzzy, also some right muppets who are supposedly competant I wouldn't let loose with a gas lighter!

I have to agree with you Fuzzy, also some right muppets who are supposedly competant I wouldn't let loose with a gas lighter!

ive added info in terms of an edit, that explains why i dont agree, however if this interpretation is proved law ill happily abide, even if i dont agree

Its a wording thing is competence I did at the very start of my working life a mechanical / electrical engineering degree (7 years) and when I was presented my stupid hat was I ready for really proving my competence
To be honest no not really it has taken over 20 years to prove that to my self let alone anyone else, if some one can prove previous experience or simply be successfull in siting an assessment then competence is proved
Am I correct or not

i am right in saying that to work on gas for no gain you only have to be competent but to work for gain you must be registered.
However what you have added is an interpretation of competence, if so it adds another dimension that suggested competence means registered?? seems to contradict the previous statement, however if you prove me wrong ill gladly admit it, i would just like to see where it says what you have posted as i cannot find it

BTW I dont agree with the interpretation, but im happy to abide by it if its proven. You may ask why i dont agree with it, its becaus ei have a friend who worked at BG all his life, helped set up acops, heped set up ACS, was an inspector for year, he is now retired, if he wants to service his boiler, by your understanding he is not competent, i would disagree

Exactly if you are quallified for gas work for 30yrs and stop paying GS for some reason, like retirement or for any other reason are you now a cowboy? or incompetant? of course not, and if you service your own boiler or familly and freinds for no gain, are you likely to leave in a dangeous state or not working correctly, of course not.

Exactly if you are quallified for gas work for 30yrs and stop paying GS for some reason, like retirement or for any other reason are you now a cowboy? or incompetant? of course not, and if you service your own boiler or familly and freinds for no gain, are you likely to leave in a dangeous state or not working correctly, of course not.

Id say not mate, you are possibly much safer than a newly qualified gsr. im not convinced by the wording suggested and think i good layer could defend you, however im looking forward to reading it for myself when it is pointed out were it is

anybody who is willing to service there own boiler when not competent to do so wont care either way what the regs state, muggers know its against the law to mug somebody..... do they care?

anybody who is willing to service there own boiler when not competent to do so wont care either way what the regs state, muggers know its against the law to mug somebody..... do they care?

I think this thread is weather you can service your own boiler if competant but not registered

Think the answer is no,coz after so many posts and the length of time of discussion,think the boiler is past servicing and replacement now required

so can op replace his own boiler without.................

as puddle states does it really matter?
In reality i come across so much gas diy its unreal and what do gas safe do???
nothing!!!
So its irrelevant because people will service there own boiler competant or not .

I think this thread is weather you can service your own boiler if competant but not registered

I was mearly saying that if somebody who is unregistered wants to service there own boiler they are unlikely to care what and how its written in the regulations. Any competent person will be registered and working in the industry, if you are not then why be bothered whats written down as you dont care enough to follow it anyway.

as puddle states does it really matter?
In reality i come across so much gas diy its unreal and what do gas safe do???
nothing!!!
So its irrelevant because people will service there own boiler competant or not .

wouldnt say its irrelevant just because some people dont abide, like suggesting pointless having speeding laws because some people speed

I was mearly saying that if somebody who is unregistered wants to service there own boiler they are unlikely to care what and how its written in the regulations. Any competent person will be registered and working in the industry, if you are not then why be bothered whats written down as you dont care enough to follow it anyway.

not all competent people are registered

I can't believe I've allowed myself to be sucked into this, but ...

Those that are looking for GSIUR 1998, it can be found here: Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances - L56

I would suggest pages 25 & 26, paying CLOSE attention to guidance points 45 & 47.

You mean these? Which seem to support what I have been saying, however RoryD quoted something else, could RoryD tell us were this quote came from please

45 Anyone who does work on a gas fitting or gas storage vessel must be
competent to do so, whether or not they are required to be a member of
an approved class of persons. Therefore, do-it-yourself gas engineers and
those performing favours for friends and relatives all need to have the required
competence. The level and range of competence should match the full extent of
work done, but needs only to be sufficient for and relevant to that work. Employers
of gas fitting operatives are also required under regulation 3(2) to ensure that their
employees have the required competence for the work undertaken; in addition to
ensuring they are properly experienced and trained (see paragraph 47), this involves
ongoing monitoring of performance standards, as necessary.

47 Competence depends on a combination of training and experience. The
ACOP Standards of training in safe gas installation provides guidance both on
the scope of training and the need for proper assessment/reassessment of gas
fitting operatives (see Appendix 4). Although failure to observe any provision of the
Code is not in itself an offence, that failure may be taken by a Court in criminal
proceedings as proof that a person has contravened a particular regulation.
The ACOP extends to gas installation work at premises excluded from these
Regulations but subject to the HSW Act sections 2 and 3 – see paragraph 42 and
Appendix 3. The nationally accredited certification scheme introduced in January
1998 requires individual gas fitting operatives to have their competence assessed
at five-yearly intervals by a certification body accredited by the United Kingdom
Accreditation Service (UKAS)

im looking forward to see where this quote came from from roryd, ive never seen it before, im happy to be proved wrong but everything ive read so far suggest i am right

You mean these? Which seem to support what I have been saying, however RoryD quoted something else, could RoryD tell us were this quote came from please

Yes, fuzzy, that's exactly what I was referring to.

Rory quotes:

Right can't resist this!!

no person can work on Gas unless competent to do so [ Rule 3 (1)]

A competent person is someone who is a member of a recommended body by the H.S.E. [rule 3. (3)] namely Gas Safe

These come from page 25. What Rory is missing from his quote on 3.3 are the words employer, employees, and self-employed. These are the people that, when doing work for hire, are required to be of a class of persons approved by the HSE.

Yes, fuzzy, that's exactly what I was referring to.

Rory quotes:

These come from page 25. What Rory is missing from his quote on 3.3 are the words employer, employees, and self-employed. These are the people that, when doing work for hire, are required to be of a class of persons approved by the HSE.
thanks mate
i realise that about being employed but roryd has quoted that registration refers to competence, however i dont see it anywhere, so id like him/her to point out were this has come from.
point 3 is about employed or self employed, different point to the op and therefore irrelevant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock