Discuss can i run in 10mm then up it to 15mm?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Hi guys,

my mum and dad had an extension built about 15 years ago. one thing they have always complained of is that they do not have a radiator in the extension. They have 2 radiators in the living room but these struggle to heat the extension as well.

anyway, i was thinking of putting a radiator in there for them. problem is the floor in the extension is concrete, whereas the rest of the ground floor is floorboards that i can take up to get to the existing 15mm pipe work.

i dont want to run any pipe in conduit and would rather hide the pipes as best i can.

i was thinking i could 'T' into the existing 15mm pipe work, channel out the concrete floor so that i can run 10mm to were i want the radiator and then put a 15 to 10 mm reducer on the end to up it to 15mm so i can connect to rad (want 15mm at rad a others are 15 and feel it would look better)

does anyone see a problemin doing this?? advice much apreciated

If you are going to channel the concrete floor for 10mm why don't you channel it a little bit deeper and wider and put 15mm in? You will save yourself a load of agro with reduceing sets and all other problems.

No problem. Use coated 10mm if you are burying it in the screed.

thanx guys, how deep would i have to bury the pipes if using either 10 or 15mm and what the stuff to use to cover them back up?? i.e motar, self leveling compound etc

Depends how long it takes for your arms to get sore swinging a 4lb mash:D

Around 1" below the ffl and just fill it in with mortar.

gas pipes require to be covered with 25mm screed above the pipe, not actually sure what the reg is for water, but it wont be far away, you could get away with 10mm depending on a couple of things, the existing length of the 15mm run, the size of the rad it feeds and the size of the new rad, scroll through for posts on max kw a 15mm supply will feed (6kw rings a bell, but someone will gently and politely remind me if im wrong!!) 15mm will be better, but needs to be covered, as others have said 10mm insulated is available off the shelf

why not use hep hence only one joint

thanx for the idea mate but to tell u the truth, im no fond of hep unless is a tricky install. heres my reasons

costs as much as copper, if not more. copper will last years. im still not convinced you will get +20 years with hep due to the rubber seals perishing. ive got a felling that there will be a lot of work finding/fixing leaks in 10-15 years time when all these rubber seals begin to persih. also i like nice vertical pipes to the rad, not pipes that kinda slope upwards to the rad if yer know what i mean.

not having a go mate or anything. i appreciate your reply but ive just got a bit of thing about hep lol

no i agree with what you say except for having more joints on copper ,so you think there will be loads of work in the future when the hep fails Great lol

not being funny but whats wrong with tidy 15mm running along a skirting to a rad, saves a lot of mess and possibility of cutting through your damp course and starting loads of future problems. Easy option is often the best in these situations

not being funny but whats wrong with tidy 15mm running along a skirting to a rad, saves a lot of mess and possibility of cutting through your damp course and starting loads of future problems. Easy option is often the best in these situations

It looks crap I hate surface run pipework

it only looks crap when its badly installed, after all a leaking system in a concrete floor looks pretty awful as well. Anyhow most folks throw a sofa in front and you cant see it anyhow.

it only looks crap when its badly installed, after all a leaking system in a concrete floor looks pretty awful as well. Anyhow most folks throw a sofa in front and you cant see it anyhow.

Ifits done right it won't leak in concrete floor will it and look better

always think that running pipes along skirting to rads looks dam rite awful. i would kick someone out of my house if thy did that. looks to me 'unprofessional'. but thats just my opinion

use 10 mm pipe brought up behind the skirting use 10mm rad valves with street elbows and you wont see any pipe work

use 10 mm pipe brought up behind the skirting use 10mm rad valves with street elbows and you wont see any pipe work

thats the way i would do it as well nothing wrong with 10mm if done correctly you could also trunk it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to can i run in 10mm then up it to 15mm?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
T
I have recently moved house and would like to move a radiator from a side wall, to one below the window as is more pleasing to the eye. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I would appreciate any help on the below please. Can I install a reversed P-trap in a run of pipe from my sink to raise pipe? I have an...
Replies
Views
We have had a long term problem with damp in our bungalow which exacerbated when we changed from the use of a system boiler (with pressure only...
Replies
Views
P
Hi there, please help dont have a clue how to set this up. Ive recently installed a complete new central heating system in my house myself. The...
Replies
Views
Back