Search the forum,

Discuss Can i remove this part of lockshield/rad valve ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Just wondered if i could remove this part of rad valve, the part u use to turn rad on/off WITHOUT water squirting everywhere in a combi pressurised system ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147459267@N08/
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
what is it that prompts the question?

Is it leaking? you can tighten the gland nut to resolve that.

Lol make sure u got towels handy if u undo that with system full.
Yes it needs to be drained and change lock shield valve

I don't drain them, just shut lockshield, undo packing gland nut, re-pack with jet blue & loctite cord & re-open... shouldn't see any water at all

I just googled it and watched 5 video's doing the same !!!!!!

Find it strange if answers above are from Plumbers ???

Cheers anyway

Hi

Just wondered if i could remove this part of rad valve, the part u use to turn rad on/off WITHOUT water squirting everywhere in a combi pressurised system ?

Cheers
Good afternoon. You asked if you could remove the part you use to turn the rad on/off not the gland and you also did not mention that it was weeping. The people on here are just trying to help. Please try to be more specific in the future.

Good afternoon. You asked if you could remove the part you use to turn the rad on/off not the gland and you also did not mention that it was weeping. The people on here are just trying to help. Please try to be more specific in the future.

Sorry i did google to try and find the name of the part, the best i could find was the pic i posted....I guess if i had added the part arrowed that is inside the lockshield, people would of been aware.

So it's a GLAND, thanks for all your replies and sorry if i offended anyone, it was not intentional...

Can anyone explain how the water does not 'squirt' out though, what else is there to stop it?

Thanks Guys

The gland nut holds down the packing around the valve spindle which stops water seeping through the tiny gap between the spindle and the valve body. If you close both rad valves and open the air vent on the rad to release any remaining pressure you will get hardly any seepage. Undo the nut and put in new packing (PTFE tape will do for a temp fix) replace nut, open valves and tighten nut enough to stop any weeping. Open and close the valve a couple times to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can i remove this part of lockshield/rad valve ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock