Search the forum,

Discuss Can I fit my own boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Daniel2828

I have a friend who has offered to fit my new boiler to save on costs. He is competent but is retired and no longer gas safe registered. Is he able to fit most of the components and then a registered gas engineer connects the new boiler to the main gas line to save on costs? Or is this still considered illegal: not recommended?

Might be best to do it the other way around eg gas engineer to fit and install the boiler inc flue and pipe the gas up etc

Then your friend to install the heating and water pipes to the boiler

Note this will probably be more expensive than the gas engineer doing the lot as it won’t appeal to most so they will add cost onto the job

Gas Safe does not permit a scheme member to 'sign off' a boiler installed by anyone but themselves. Nobody with any sense would risk their livelihood to help you save money by doing what you propose.

The word 'competent' has two meanings depending on the context. Your friend might be, 'competent' in the sense that he has the skills required to install a boiler. He is no longer, however, a 'competent person' who is legally allowed to install a boiler for someone else. To be 'competent' in this second sense, he must be a current member of a scheme such as Gas Safe.

So, IMO, @ShaunCorbs's answer is spot on and you were right to check.

I'd guess if the gas man fitted the flue and the gas pipework then it would be ok?
Of course you'd have to find a gas man to do it.
It's not illegal to fit your own boiler but it is illegal for someone to be paid to do it.
(There's some insurance issues too, and not forgetting the risk of death)

It's not illegal to fit your own boiler but it is illegal for someone to be paid to do it.
(There's some insurance issues too, and not forgetting the risk of death)
Although, I believe, fitting your own boiler – if it is a competent DIY job done by the house owner – is not itself technically a crime, failing to get local authority Building Regulation approval for the new installation is. I've never come across anyone who has managed to get LA approval for their DIY boiler installation but I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be an easy or cheap process.

Last edited:

Reply to Can I fit my own boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock