Search the forum,

Discuss Camray 5 combi 90A loosing water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 14 year old Camray 5 90A boiler in my kitchen. Im finding I need to top up the water side every week by almost 1 bar. I checked the air side of the expansion tank after I released any water pressure with the pressure release valve before I started it up 3 weeks ago and it had only lost 1 psi since last May so I topped it up to 14.5 psi While there was no water pressure I replaced a valve on one of the bedroom radiators and added more inhibitor.
After topping up the water pressure to 1 bar I opened all the radiators and bled out any air then closed off 2 radiators in the 2 bedrooms I dont use. I topped up the water again to 1 bar. All the radiators that are open heat up well and the boiler seems to be working correctly but still loosing water pressure on the gauge. Had to top it up 3 times now.
I have checked that no water is leaking out of the radiator valves and the pressure release valve pipe outside. Anybody any ideas where it is leaking ?

It doesn't take much of a tiny weep to bring the pressure down.
Check the usual suspects, - PRV perhaps leaking very slightly, particularly when heating on, weeping radiator valve glands, auto vents (if any) leaking, any other gate valves, brass fittings, etc. Also any motorised valves could leak at their valve spindle and at 14 year old you need to check them.
The worst possibility is the boiler shell is leaking outside or inside. That can be hard to find and they can sometimes only leak when the boiler is heating and water evaporates leaving little trace.
I would check all things above and only as a last resort use leak sealer because it is better to find and fix a leak.

Thanks for reply. I dont have any motorised valves and not sure how to identify auto vents. I have tied a plasic bag around the PRV outlet. Can't see or feel any weeping from rad valves. I didnt realise it just takes a small amount of water to leak to reduce pressure as it seems to take quite a bit of water to top it up.
Can the expansion tank leak water even if the air side seems to hold pressure ?

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. I dont have any motorised valves and not sure how to identify auto vents. I have tied a plasic bag around the PRV outlet. Can't see or feel any weeping from rad valves. I didnt realise it just takes a small amount of water to leak to reduce pressure as it seems to take quite a bit of water to top it up.
Can the expansion tank leak water even if the air side seems to hold pressure ?

If the air side of expansion vessel is holding air, then that side will not leak water, but if the water side has rotted it could pin hole and leak.
I find most sealed systems only need approximately half a bucket of water to take the pressure down to zero

I just removed the burner and found some water at the base under the burner. Looks like water and doesn't smell like kerosene. Last week I removed the burner to change the nozzle and dont remember seeing any water. I cant see or feel any looking into the top of the boiler or around the expansion vessel. Any suggestions ?

It's finger in the air sort of thing mate You might have done all you can do without getting a pro to take a look at it

The camray 5 does have a three way motorised valve.

Also when you changed the nozzle, how did you check and adjust the combustion?

Thanks for your replies. Ive determined the leak is on the right had storage tank side. Ive found the 3 way motorised valve sitting on top. I cant see/feel any water around the 3 joints but the pressure has dropped now so I need to add some pressure to locate the leak. If its not the valve where do the storage tanks tend to leak from ?

Last edited:
As previously said mate we are guessing if you can't find it then you need somebody in to examine properly and take the thing apart. They can also service it and set up the combustion properly for you

So Ive found that water is dripping down from the 3 way motorised valve. Its looks to be coming from between the plastic cover of the motor and the flat metal flange plate of the valve. The valve is a Danfoss Randall Ltd type HSA3CD. My first thought was to just try and get a complete new valve but the B port that goes down to the tank doesnt have a normal valve nut but looks like a black round joint of some kind. Can I just replace/ repair part of the valve and leave the brass part in place ?

Last edited:
Do you know it's leaking????? No you don't. Maybe get someone in who is actually familiar with these boilers as you've been told three times now. You're throwing parts at a problem hoping it will go away

Last edited:
Yes I do know as said

So Ive found that water is dripping down from the 3 way motorised valve. Its looks to be coming from between the plastic cover of the motor and the flat metal flange plate of the valve. The valve is a Danfoss Randall Ltd type HSA3CD. My first thought was to just try and get a complete new valve but the B port that goes down to the tank doesnt have a normal valve nut but looks like a black round joint of some kind. Can I just replace/ repair part of the valve and leave the brass part in place ?

Last edited:
Your potential procurement shows you know sweet f all about your boiler.

Stop fecking about with it. You've messed with the combustion as well.

TbhI hope it kills you. Step closer to oil being regulated like gas.

Just to update. After a few days of reserch ( Im was fortunate it was a mild spell ) I located a new HSV3 valve to replace the old which was leaking from the stem. Fitted it yesterday and radiators hot and with no leaks in the boiler and the pressure is holding. Thanks for pointing out the motorised valve as the source of the leak.

Last edited:
Now you can get somebody in to set up the combustion correctly for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Camray 5 combi 90A loosing water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock